ID this loach, please? (pics inside)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

texanangel

ID this loach, please? (pics inside)

Post by texanangel » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:38 pm

We got this little one a week now, and he's doing fine. We went through the species index, and we think it might be a "Graceful Loach" ("Cobitis choii"), or a "Cobitis striata". But as you can see, our loach is made up of spots, not lines, though he does have a black eyespot on his tail fin, even though the eye spot doesn't come out well in pics. Of course he might just be the juvenile or adult of a species that doesn't have a corresponding picture yet.

Thanks for your time!

worton

Post by worton » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:10 am

Hey,

looks like young speciment of european species of "weather loach" Misgurnis fossilis.

Regards.

sophie

Post by sophie » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:26 am

the head doesn't look right for m fossilis, does it? I don;t think they're kept in the hobby, either - they're certainly banned for import here.

cobitis sounds like a good guess.
don;t some of the nemacheilus look a bit like this, too?

ok, I'm guessing in the dark here...
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:41 am

One thing to remember with these types of loach is that their patterning is very highly variable and may represent regional variations. I wouldn't dicount Lepidocephalichthys for this guy. Here's a few usual suspects:

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pi ... variegated

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:52 am

I'd say Lepidecephalus too, possibly a Guntea varient ?

texanangel

Post by texanangel » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:12 pm

Hmm...I guess we won't know until it's older. When we bought it the store owner didn't even know what it was.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:37 pm

He wont change much or grow much, texanangel. I'd say you have a Lepidocephalichthys guntea. The distribution of the Lepidocephalichthys guntea is vast >> Pakistan, Northern India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar, Thailand and variations do apply.

mckinnon

Post by mckinnon » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:54 pm

i have two wether loaches which i get from two diffrent shops, one looks nothing like it but the other (the male) looks like your loach, same sort of colours but diffrent patterns (i'll try and get a pic at some point)

texanangel

Post by texanangel » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:23 pm

Hmm...I'm looking at a pic of a Dojo (Chinese version) and it looks really close, so you guys might be right.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:53 pm

No....I think you're misunderstanding mckinnon there texanangel. Not saying it's Misgurnis anguillicaudatus, which it definitely isn't.....just similar in coloring to some examples.

I'm with Graeme on Lepidocephalichthys guntea.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

mckinnon

Post by mckinnon » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:37 pm

hmm maybe i dont have what i thought i had, but the eyes on the Lepidocephalichthys guntea are alot diffrent rather than small and a reddy/brown there larger and white. but hey 95% chance im wrong, im pretty new to this. :)

Icewall42

Post by Icewall42 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:56 pm

That's a Pepper Loach. I'm pretty certain of that. We've had those guys for sale in our fishs tore before. I don't think they grow as big as the weather loaches, but I could be wrong. My experience with these guys is limited.

I'm not sure what the scientific name of the Pepper Loach is, or how many variants there are of it, though... :S

texanangel

Post by texanangel » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:50 am

The problem I'm running into is that stores only have a few names for long loaches, and only sell them under those names. And with the variations inherint in the species, it's hard to find a definitive match.

I'm just looking for one that has the line across the head through the eye, a round tail, a black eyespot at the base of the tail, a slightly rounded dorsal fin, a roundish body type, and the right mouth shape and barbles (spelling?), and a spotted body where the spots make nearly full lines.