skunk botia

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

The-Wolf

skunk botia

Post by The-Wolf » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:06 pm

hi all
are skunk botias Yasuhikotakia morleti slow growers?
I purchased 4 skunks and 4 blue loaches Yasuhikotakia modesta 8 months ago, all were approx 1". the blues are now fast approaching 5" but the skunks are only 2".
both species are in the same tank and thus share the same amount of food, water params etc. I just think there could be something amiss with the skunks but don't know what.
Current loaches owned
Chromobotia macracanthus, Syncrossus berdmorei, Botia rostrata, Botia histronica, Yasuhikotakia modesta, Yasuhikotakia morleti.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:14 pm

The growth rate you see is quite usual. The Y. modesta can attain an adult size of over double that of the Y. morleti, which may be why the skunks are just under half the size of the modestas now. As long as they are all in a spacious aquarium and the skunks are still getting their fair share of the food, then I don't think there is really anything to worry about.
Would love to see some pics if you have any. :wink:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:51 pm

Yeah, it sounds quite normal regarding growth rates. I've often seen my Yasuhikotakia modesta's shoot up in growth under the first year then they slow down. The Yasuhikotakia morleti's are steady slow growers with a pot belly along the way. Here's one of my Yasuhikotakia morleti looking chubby at 2 inches. This chap was 1 inch back in September.