So you've got a new loach... Trouble shooting

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark in Vancouver

So you've got a new loach... Trouble shooting

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:52 am

I wanted to start a thread that will be helpful for new loach collectors who might find themselves here for the first time. I'd like my learned colleagues to add to this thread in general ways, if they will.

You've got your first - or maybe your tenth - loach in its tank and something has gone awry. There are a number of very common complaints. Ich (White Spot), Chronic Wasting Syndrome (Skinny Disease), lethargy, hyperactivity, lack of appetite, and so on.

Note: Whatever the condition, it is best to begin a new thread on this forum, and ask for specific advice. Adding your complaint to the end of this thread will reduce the chances that you'll get urgent information.

When you write in to describe the problem, we need to know as much detail as possible....

How big is the tank?
Has the tank been established for long - is it "mature"?
Water chemistry: pH, GH, temperature, readings for all pollutants: ammonia, nitrites, nitrates...
How many fish are in the tank - are they a good mix?
What are you feeding your loaches?

We want to help by offering good guidance to all new loach keepers. There is always debate over the best treatment for some common conditions, but the people who care about this forum want to dispense the best advice going.

Hopefully we can begin a string of good advice columns on the common complaints here: Ich - CWS or skinny - temperature and water quality - ..

If people would like to add to this thread with articles - please do. If you want to do it as a matter of discussion, please start a new thread. I just want to direct this one as far as it will go for FAQ purposes - and later copy writing.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Nikki

Post by Nikki » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:31 pm

In addition to what Mark has mentioned, also post what filtration you have ie hang on filters, under gravel etc, how much and how often you clean the tank, and your location. The location is important as some countries have restrictions on medications like the UK.

Think it's time to ressurect Peter's ich notes that we helped him compile. :)
My tanks

I still miss my husband sometimes...
But my aim is getting better.

barbara

Post by barbara » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:49 am

at last look peter's ich notes ARE posted on the web. they could be linked.
slogan for the day: things may not be what they seem.

Nikki

Post by Nikki » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:59 pm

I have them bookmarked as well. It's a well laid-out, user friendly article! :)
My tanks

hawkusa

Post by hawkusa » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:11 pm

How about posting the URL here?

shari

Peter's Ick Notes

Post by shari » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:00 am

Excellent information on Ich and it's treatment can be found here:

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/fish/notes_ich.html

Good reading 8)

barbara

Post by barbara » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:06 am

thanks shari! i've lost old bookmarks...well they may be on a disc from my last computer but much of what i saved seems to have not saved. it is such a thorough discussion. now to add it. : )

Nikki

Post by Nikki » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:51 pm

Bookmarks? thats my favourite word! I have a whole bunch I can send you if you like!
My tanks

barbara

Post by barbara » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:41 pm

hi nikki! thanks for the offer. i've been thinking about it but i think i'm okay as i don't need to look too many things up. but if you have the link for the discussion of flexibacter by, is it dr. barb? i'd like that one...another excellent discussion and i'd like to have that in addition to the one shari listed for me. they are the two main ones i use when i read posts that seem to need help with one or the other of those two situations: flexibacter or ich.

barbara

Lotus

Post by Lotus » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:20 pm

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

barbara

Post by barbara » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:02 am

thanks for that link. seems a different site than what i remember but the same information. perhaps my memory is failing...lol (an in joke!)

Nikki

Post by Nikki » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:20 pm

I have some wonderful bookmarks for diseases and treatments as I moderate an emerg forum at TFC. one of my fav links is a list of available meds for the UK in Practical Fishkeeping. Meds in the UK are strictly regulated and Ive had to become familiar with them as many of our 10,000+ forum members are from there. here is the link for it: PFK Disease Treatments
I also have a meds thread at TFC at the top of my forum which also has many other treatments used in fishkeeping, mostly the North American Treatments. it's still kind of haphazard, eventually I will; clean it all up in one long post, I will even do an article for LOL as well for it, but heres the link for that: TFC Meds Thread Even tho its from another BB its my thread so it should be ok to post it here (sorry Jeff! ;) :D
My tanks

barbara

Post by barbara » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:50 am

thanks nikki. i bookmarked both although the first i only did the home page as there was something not working in the other link. but that's fine...as long as i have the home site.

barbara

Ian

not sure what the problem is

Post by Ian » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Im hoping someone can give me some insight into what is going on with my loaches. I am new to this forum but you all seem highly knowledgeable so here it goes...

In the last three months I have bought nine clown loaches, five between 1 - 2 inches and four at approx. 4 inches. However, three of the smaller loaches have died in the last two weeks. All three died without any visible symtoms of disease or infection. However, recently I have spotted ich on one fish and am treating the tank with ich guard (1/2 strength) as my dealer told me to. However, I still have two fish (one small, one big) that seem to be breathing hard, occassionally scrapping, and not eating. My tank is a 55 g, with 110 watts of light on 12 hours a day. I have hanging filters, a large air stone, and a regular heater in my tank. I have multiple hiding places, a small cave and a clay pot cracked in half. The temp. is around 80F, with ph around 7-7.5, with no signs of ammonia or nitrites. I do 25% water changes approx. by weekly and use a regular water conditioner. I have a couple plants in the tank and use an iron supplement for them. I think that is all of the important info, so hopefully someone can provide me with some info. One more thing when I got the larger ones two were mildly discoloured and two were very bright. I figured that it was probably genetic so it did not concern me. However, now all four seem to have lost there colour.

shari

Post by shari » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:44 pm

Since Ich attacks the gill filaments first, it's not surprising that you will see fish breathing hard, especially since you see signs on the body of at least one fish now. Here's a link to good info on ich:

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/fish/notes_ich.html

It sounds like your tank environment should be good for loaches and your water change regimen is good.

The color differences could be nothing more than having clowns from different locales, but loss of color (not simple greying out due to agression/territorial behavior) is indicative of stress response to something.

Many (if not most) larger clowns are wild caught and will often suffer from internal/external parasites or diseases. We usually recommend using a quarantine tank for all wild caught fish and treating for any issues as they become apparent before infecting an established, mature tank with other inhabitants.

You know for sure that ich is present in the tank, so treating is necessary. Read the link, and be sure to gravel vac to remove the ich incubating in the gravel between doses. In the meantime, lower the water level so that the inflow from your HOB filters create a splash to increase O2 in the tank, or add an airstone. Continue to treat until at least 3-4 days after all signs of spots are gone, since there will still be invisible ich in the substrate.

If you increase the temp the life cycle will be shorter, and treatment should go faster, but at the same time the increase can create other problems. The link will explain

:wink:

hth