Can any Hillies survive an 80 degree tank. good current

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Sherry

Can any Hillies survive an 80 degree tank. good current

Post by Sherry » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:57 pm

I want to try hillies again but my tank gets warm (lights and acrylic tank.) have have a couple of power heads so the water movement is good.
also I have very soft water, 1 kh and I add gh

can any hillies be happy there?

a year ago or so I lost some, but that was because I didn't realize I needed a bubbler at night (many plants so they go from making o2 to using it up in the pm).

tank is amazingly stable now. Can I try hillstreams again?
35 gallon heavily planted cube

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:24 pm

If you had asked that question 6 years ago I would have said no. Today, my big River-Tank sits at 77.9 and the Sewellia tank is 80.5....completely unheated. That's all heat-sink from electrical items plus the ambient temp in my apartment is high and I can't control it. The fish are perfectly happy. I use a wall-mounted fan to keep temps under control in the Summer.

You absolutely do need good water movement though and having air feeding into powerhead venturis is a good way to boost oxygen levels. Check my video "Welcome to my River-Tank".

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/ ... r-Tank.flv

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Sherry

Post by Sherry » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:37 pm

I have 2 power heads and an outflow from an xp1 running in my 20 gallon cube.. o2 during the day is very high.. plants pearl. at night I assist the tank with an airstone.

do you recommend any hilly over anohter, for a soft water tank, and do you recommend on-line sources for finding them?

love your tank!!!!
35 gallon heavily planted cube