Clown Death

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

AnneMarie

Clown Death

Post by AnneMarie » Tue May 01, 2007 12:29 pm

I woke up this morning and found my biggest clown dead. I tested the water and everything was good:

Am- 0
Nitrites-0
NitrAtes-10
Ph-6.4

My water is a bit cloudy, I then noticed that another one of my clowns is lying on it's side breathing fast with clear stringy discharge. I did a water change last night then fed and everyone came to dinner.

Does this sound like constipation? Dropsy?

I tried to get pictures but the sick guy is hiding.
"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --Ben Franklin

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Tue May 01, 2007 12:53 pm

thats bad news. sorry to hear that. im afraid i cant help you, but i hope the other one pulls through

hemi

Post by hemi » Tue May 01, 2007 1:13 pm

i lost 2 clowns yesterday also
i dunno why either
all my other fish in the same tank are fine
noone looks like anythings wrong

shari2

Post by shari2 » Tue May 01, 2007 1:15 pm

So frustrating, but without any signs it's really impossible to say...what type of cloudy do you think this may be?
I once had a kid pour milk in the tank to feed the fishies...ugh! What a nightmare that was. :evil:
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

AnneMarie

Post by AnneMarie » Tue May 01, 2007 1:20 pm

I just went down stairs to look again and the abdomen(sp?) looks swollen. The water is white cloudy. There is a clear stringy discharge.
"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --Ben Franklin

shari2

Post by shari2 » Tue May 01, 2007 1:24 pm

A major bacterial bloom will consume oxygen which may explain why your clowns were gasping and why you lost the largest one...

Get some extra oxygen in the tank, do a small water change. Doesn't sound like there's anything really wrong with the water based on your tests. Are you sure they are accurate?
Is the tank in sunlight? Added anything new or removed something? Cleaned the filters lately?
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

AnneMarie

Post by AnneMarie » Tue May 01, 2007 1:28 pm

Pretty sure the test is accurate, I haven't done anything to the tank in a while. I cleaned the filter less than a month ago. I will drop the water level and add an air stone.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue May 01, 2007 8:25 pm

Sorry to hear this AnneMarie. :cry: I take it the temperature of the tank is normal?

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Tue May 01, 2007 9:43 pm

I am sad and will say the little fish prayer for you :cry:

AnneMarie

Post by AnneMarie » Wed May 02, 2007 10:27 am

Well last night I made a QT bucket for the guy with a sponge filter and a thermometer. He died some time after midnight, poor guy. I still have the cloudy water though, if this is a bacterial bloom what should I do? Small daily water changes? Wait it out.

MTS

Post by MTS » Wed May 02, 2007 10:40 am

Good site with info on bacteria blooms:
http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/cloudy%20water.html

Since your tank doesn't show signs of ammonia, I would wonder if there is some other toxic chemical in the water.