Hiding Clowns

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

jerry_tyler

Hiding Clowns

Post by jerry_tyler » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:14 pm

I have alot of hiding spots . I also have alot of clowns. I have 25 clowns. All between 4inches to 8 inches. But I never see but maybe 3 or 4 of them during the day. At night time I can see a few more when the moon light is on. I even keep half the lights off on one half of the tank. And that seemed to help a little. My brother does not have any hiding spots. Plastic plants and the overflows are the only place they can hide. Will that stress the fish? They don't act like they are. I am thinking about taking every hiding spot out . But I don't want to stress the fish. And I want whats good for the fish. thanks for the help jerry :D

jerry_tyler

Post by jerry_tyler » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:34 pm

Emma and everyone else that gets the pictures of the big pile of loaches. How do you do it? Is it rare to see them all piled up together? The only time I seen that was when I had to break a root system to let them out. :D

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:57 pm

Hi Jerry,

Our tank has a lot of hiding places - I certainly wouldn't deprive your Clown loaches of something similar.

I think that your Clowns (and your brothers) need longer to fully settle in and get themselves more familiar with their surroundings, and with each other. Don't forget that larger fish do seem to take a little longer to adjust to a new aquarium (remember we didn't see Marge for 7 weeks).

Clowns definitely need hiding spots so don't take them away :wink: . Your brother really should add some bogwood to his tank, or make them some caves out of inert rocks/slate. They are likely to feel quite stressed without somewhere they can retreat to, and it is not natural for them. On the whole Clowns do seem to be more confident the more hiding places there are, so they know they have a place to hide if they feel the need to.

Our Clowns form their 'big pile' every night now. This occurs a while before feeding time, when they are highly excitable and doing the 'loachy dance'. Steve & I are always going to bed far too late, so the loaches tend to get their main feed quite late (usually around midnight) every night. I would say that the loachy dance/pile starts from about 10:30pm when the main lights go off, leaving the blue moon tube on.

I hope this helps both you and your brother,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

jerry_tyler

Post by jerry_tyler » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:08 pm

Thanks so much. I keep forgetting that it took 7 weeks for marge to come out. I am going to remove the roots that I have . They are realitic but they have holes that the clowns can get stuck in. I am going to put the bogwood. Where they can't cram themselfs in and get stuck. I am alway worried about that. thanks again jerry :D :D