Botia striata stocking question

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

gf225

Botia striata stocking question

Post by gf225 » Sun May 06, 2007 3:19 am

I'm after a bit of natural pest snail control.

I've tried feeding less fishfood but they're still breeding like mad and their trying to munch on my crypts.

I have a 125 l. (33 US gal.), heavily planted with crypts, ferns and anubias. It is home to 18 pentazona barbs, nothing else.

My question. How many Botia striata would you recommend stocking? I understand they prefer to be in groups.

Water is pH 6.8, KH 7, GH 13, NO3 <20ppm, temp. 26C.

Thanks in advance.

gf225

Post by gf225 » Sun May 06, 2007 5:08 am

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/botia-striata

Just found the answers I need. Five should do nicely.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun May 06, 2007 7:40 am

Good to see members not just looking around the forum section. :D

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun May 06, 2007 7:56 am

That's what LOL's there for :D
The Q's been asked at PFK too. Good when people do research before buying the fish.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sun May 06, 2007 3:25 pm

welcome to LOL, gf225

botia striata are lovely fish, but please consider carefully if you would really like them or whether you just want to get rid of snails. striata are worth so much more than just this.

have you tried catching out the snails? i'd try putting meaty food in the tank at lights out, but others i think have had success with other sinking foods. the snails should be attracted to the food, and you can scoop them out with a net. you could also try putting food in a small bottle with small holes cut in it, so the snails can get at the food. sink the bottle, and then you can pck it out, hopefully with lots of snails in, a bit later. you will need to try this several times to reduce the numbers of snails, as there will be lots of hidden snails in the tank, and plenty of snail eggs.

not every loach likes snails either. my striata cant be bothered with them, and only 1 of my yoyos seems to like them. fish are very fussy, i reckon. some people have loaches that cant get enough snails. maybe you will be lucky.

good luck with getting rid of them

gf225

Post by gf225 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:00 pm

Thanks all.

I love striata, always have. The fact they may eat snails is a welcome "side effect" and just the added bonus I needed to go ahead with my decision to purchase them. Apologies that my OP probably came across as me wanting the fish solely as snail control.

I've tried many other methods at reducing my pest snail population. I appreciate the advice, of course.

As for purchasing the fish, I am lucky, as my LFS is Maidenhead Aquatics in Crowland, Peterborough, UK. Steve is a great guy. I've not had the pleasure of meeting Emma.

Cheers.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sun May 06, 2007 4:10 pm

thats great to hear, gf225 :D dont worry, your post wasnt implying that you only want striata for the snails, but so many people have that attitude, which is sad. these fish seem to be quite misunderstood.

you are spoilt if you live near Emma and Steve's shop. Emma is great too. how long will it be before you get tempted by all those other loaches they have in stock? and all the other fish that are suitable for housing with the loaches.....

where abouts do you live?

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun May 06, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi George. You should meet up with us on the 11th. Me, Mark, Emma, Steve, Helen, Les, Susan will be there from 10am ish. :wink:

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun May 06, 2007 8:05 pm

He's in Spalding Hels.

Martin.

gf225

Post by gf225 » Mon May 07, 2007 5:15 am

helen nightingale wrote:....how long will it be before you get tempted by all those other loaches they have in stock? and all the other fish that are suitable for housing with the loaches.....

where abouts do you live?
Ha, ha. There's certainly some wonderful fish in the store. I remembered when it first opened and it's really has gone from strength to strength. It's the only store I use for fish now. I'm particularly fond of the excellent selection of softwater fish and those tiny species available for the nano aquarium, such as Microrasbora.

Unfortunately I don't have as many tanks as I would like, due to my hectic lifestyle. I have just the one 125 l. tank now.

I live in a village called Barnack, just outside Stamford, Lincs. Not Spalding... :wink:
Graeme Robson wrote:Hi George. You should meet up with us on the 11th. Me, Mark, Emma, Steve, Helen, Les, Susan will be there from 10am ish. :wink:
Thanks for the invite, Graeme.

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon May 07, 2007 6:43 am

The human brain is weird (or mine is anyway). I read "Stamford" over on PFK and my brain converted it to Spalding by the time I got back here. Must be the fen mists or something :roll:

Martin.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon May 07, 2007 9:35 pm

Yes George, you're most welcome to join us. The usual time is around 10am. :wink: Thanks for your wonderful comments about the store. :D

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Tue May 08, 2007 9:55 am

the fen mist, or is the slight smell of cabbage, Martin?

George, i know what you mean about the microrasboras. i think i know what i want to get, until i go to the shop again and see another really nice species. it would be good to meet you :D