pics, as Emma's been asking

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

helen nightingale

pics, as Emma's been asking

Post by helen nightingale » Sun May 06, 2007 7:30 pm

sorry for the bad quality and the dirty glass. the camera really picted up where i missed patches glass scrubbing. i think i forgot to take the camera off lorry photo settings :oops:

this used to be a very tatty stationery company delivery lorry. now its nearly ready for transporting a vintage racing car

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun May 06, 2007 7:44 pm

Your loaches look FABULOUS, Hels. 8) 8) 8) I really like the B. striata with the strange markings.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sun May 06, 2007 8:14 pm

thanks, Emma. he's getting braver now, so i will have to have a proper photo session soon. still lots of practise is needed! next time i will have to try and get the food to fall away from the scratched bit of the tank, too :(

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Sun May 06, 2007 9:04 pm

Very nice pictures. What kind of car is going in the truck?

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Sun May 06, 2007 9:06 pm

Beautiful tank. I also really like that Striata with the mathematical markings!

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon May 07, 2007 12:37 am

I like the tank too. They must love all that driftwood.

Spankenstyne

Post by Spankenstyne » Mon May 07, 2007 2:18 am

Nice pics, i love the tank setup.

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Mon May 07, 2007 4:06 am

Lovely tank Helen, the unusually marked Striata looks great :)

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Mon May 07, 2007 6:58 am

thanks for all your kind comments :D

the bogwood near the yoyo in the 1st picture is top spot for the bigger loaches, so plenty of scuffling, if they all want to loach around under it, and the bit with the round hole in is where they all hang out together. its a bit dark for getting photos of them in there though.

i had never thought of the striata having mathematical markings Keith. it seems like mathematicians have a certain type of brain that can see maths in all sorts of things. do the markings tell a mathematical story?

the lorry is for a rolls royce car. it was a one-off build, from all rolls royce parts, built by somebody cos he could, rather than built by the company. in think the first race it completed was only last year, as whenit was first built it either kept crashing or stopping. my camera is used for lorry project pictures far more than fish tanks at the moment :evil: i think him in charge will have to have an early birthday present.

Keith Wolcott

Post by Keith Wolcott » Mon May 07, 2007 9:44 am

Helen- No mathematical story, but if you have ever heard of Seifert fibering and foliations of manifolds (concerning the study of 3 dimensional spaces), then the normal markings on a Striata look like a Seifert fibering and the unusual pattern that you have on your exceptional Striata is more like a foliation. When I finally get some Striata, I hope I get lucky enough to get such interesting markings.

All of your fish look very healthy and well fed.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Mon May 07, 2007 10:46 am

Keith i havent heard of Seifert fibering and foliations of manifolds, but it will give me something to google on a wet and boring bank holiday :D. school maths was rubbish, but i enjoyed stats, and the weirdness of quantum mechanics intrigues me, so it will probably be more interesting than churning through job websites :roll:

the key to finding striata with interesting markings is being a geek. spend ages staring into shop tanks, accept you look like a weirdo, and look at all the fish from both sides, very carefully. for an instanly recogniseable fish, striata have an amazing amount of variation in patterns

the bigger fish are looking quite plump as i have one striata that is very shy. they get plenty of food so the little one gets some too. they particularly like hikari sinking carnivore pellets, and they will pick up a pellet, swim off with it and drop it in a private corner, then go back and tell me they are poor starving little loaches

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Mon May 07, 2007 10:49 am

nice loaches and i like the rasboras as well!
All your loaches are belong to me!

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Mon May 07, 2007 2:24 pm

Superb tank Helen. I love the B Striata! 8)

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Mon May 07, 2007 6:52 pm

That is a beautiful tank Helen. 8)

The.Dark.One

Post by The.Dark.One » Mon May 07, 2007 8:02 pm

Nice photo's of some stunning loaches!

Is that an almorhae in the first pic, or a weird patterned rostrata adult?

I would really appreciate the usage of some photo's of that fish and the weird patterned striata for my almost finished article on botias if that's possible? :wink: The article currently is running at 18 A4 pages of text and still have 2 or 3 species to go!