Sand..

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

katt

Sand..

Post by katt » Sat May 26, 2007 3:14 pm

Maybe this has been askèd befor, but I can`t find it.

Iam going to move my 660 liter and want to go over to sand for my CL`s at the same time.

But I`ve been reading alot on how sand can hurt the fishès gill`s if they are sand shifter`s.

So do CL`s shift sand through there gill`s ?

And if so what would be the best size sand to use for them ?

Thank`s Katt

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat May 26, 2007 6:15 pm

Hei Katt,

Martin is actually writing an article on substrates for the loach aquarium, as this is a question that crops up quite a lot.

Larger clown loaches are definitely capable of sifting fine sand through the gills. I have a picture of Marge doing just this somewhere, I'll try and find it for you. :wink:

You want to make sure that the sand is suitable for use in an aquarium and that it is inert and won't affect your water chemistry. Over here a couple of the more common types of sand would be silver sand (which is in fact a very light golden colour and very very fine) and silica sand (a draker golden colour and of a slightly larger size grain). I use silica sand in all my loach tanks, the clown loach tank and fry growing-on tank have the normal silica sand, and my River Tank and Schistura tank has black silica sand.

You'll definitely want to avoid any of the usual sands recommended for marine aquaria (or Malawi cichlid aquaria) as these are usually calcareous and will make the water too hard. These are often sold as 'coral sand/gravel'. Also avoid any that feel really sharp too the touch for obvious reasons.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat May 26, 2007 6:43 pm

Here's the picture as promised, Katt. :wink:

Marge sifting sand through the gills:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

katt

Post by katt » Sun May 27, 2007 2:37 am

Thank you Emma.....

Will need to see what kinda sand they have here.

So will try to find this silica sand.

As Iàm not planing to move the tank just yet. ( need some strong men ) I`ve got time to plan the move and get the sand.

Looking forward to martin`s article....

WOW awesome picture..... As always :D We do love looking at your Clown`s...

But I have to say am alittle surprised that they shift sand. I really didn`t think they did. learn something new every day :)
And now that I know they do I best get some sand for them soon.

Am not looking forward to the move, it`s alot of work and will stress the fish. But need`s to be done.
I`ve had to move a 325 liter, so know what I need to do to make the move go as smooth and stress free as I can.

Again thank you for the info and picture. :)

doglover_50

sand

Post by doglover_50 » Sun May 27, 2007 4:29 am

Hi,

I just asked this question within the last 2 weeks and got about 10 responses--should be easy to find my post. Pool filter sand at pool stores seemed to come up a lot! I live in the cool part of Arizona (who'da thunk) so no pool stores in my town.

katt

Post by katt » Sun May 27, 2007 4:42 am

:lol: Not to many pool`s in Norway.... but thank`s.

doglover_50

the internet

Post by doglover_50 » Sun May 27, 2007 4:45 am

the pool filter sand can be ordered on the internet, if you wished.

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Sun May 27, 2007 12:42 pm

It doesnt have to be a blistering hot climate to have pools, a couple my friends near where I grew up had pools in a much cooler climate, they were the indoor heated variety. That was near Massena NY (across the river from Cornwall Canada).

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun May 27, 2007 1:23 pm

I've never had any problems with using play pit sand with my loaches. Just make sure you clean it well before hand. I keep many loaches in this substrate without any damage to gills..etc. In fact my Acantopsis choirorhynchus aka The Horseface loach has thrived with this substrate and these are primarily sand-feeders with sieving sand through their gills when feeding.

Images Below....

doglover_50

pools

Post by doglover_50 » Sun May 27, 2007 6:45 pm

Thanks Crazy. You are 100% correct about pools in cold climates--there are some of the indoor variety here, though few. The issue is that in a town my size in a very cold climate, there are in fact no pool stores. But if I drive 2 hours to Phoenix, pool stores are like Cirkle K's--they are on every corner! So I'll just need to go down there or get it off the internet.

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Sun May 27, 2007 11:29 pm

Shipping sand is pricey, I'd be looking at something local if possible. But I'm probably going to drive to get mine. For the 'sand' that I want I am probably going to drive out of town to get it probably a 2hr round trip or so with the truck. I havent calculated the gas mileage yet for the trip, but figure it will be cheaper than having it shipped since I'll probably be getting 600-700 pounds for two tanks.

katt

Post by katt » Mon May 28, 2007 2:20 am

We have no pool shop`s locally.

But Iàm looking into "biltemasand" that is what people use here for there tank`s.

It`s an naturel very fine grad sand, that come`s from Swedon.
Am still reading on it though....

I guess they sale it for the use of sand-blasting off paint, from car`s and house`s.

But about 3 or so year`s ago people startèd to use it in there tank`s. And that there happy with it. And have seen no gill damage..etc with it.

Yes, I would think shipping would be expence. I need alot, but have not done the math as of yet. :)

Graeme Robson, love the picture`s the last one really made me laugh.

Thank`s again for all the info.

PitterPatti

How much sand in 75 gallon?

Post by PitterPatti » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:06 pm

I was wondering about how much pool sand you would put in a 75 gallon tank.

100 lbs, more? or less?

thanks
Patti

LoachOrgy

Post by LoachOrgy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:31 pm

sand is great. you really seee the natural habbits of the loaches. they will often scoot along the bottom using their fins rather than swimming. it looks really cute as well bc when they stop, they rest on the edge of their two side fins and the tail. it looks very cute!
All your loaches are belong to me!

Rubix

Post by Rubix » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:49 pm

well since its a 75 gallon tank you would want about 75 pounds of substrate, the typical rule of thumb is a pound per gallon 8) if you plan for it to be a planted tank you may consider adding a little more so the roots have plenty of space. im setting upa third tank this month, this one will have sand. ive been reading a lot and learning lately about sand...something i am learning about right now is anaerobic gaseous pockets of air that get trapped in the sand. the sand should be 'stirred' every once in awhile to prevent these pockets from building up because they can be lethal to your fish (and lethal to your nose :lol: ) when disturbed if the gas has been building up for awhile.