YoYo Loaches?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

fishkid951

YoYo Loaches?

Post by fishkid951 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:41 am

Hi
I am restocking my discus tank and i need a bottom dwellar. I am thinking about getting some YoYo or Pakastani loaches(same fish). Do you think there will be a problem with them in the discus tank? I have had clown loaches with the discus before and they were fine...until they(discus) became sick and excreted lots more slim coat or something and they had a taste of it and enjoyed it so continued to do it until i got rid of the clown loaches(back to LFS)
Cheers
i hav 3 current tanks:
165L/45gal-discus planted tank
40L/10gal-kribensis breeder(soon to be apistogramma panduro breeder)
56L/14gal-axalotl tank
soon to come-34L/8gal- lamprologus multifasciatus breeder/colony.

Total Package

Post by Total Package » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:14 am

you would probably be best to go with botia striata. IME they're more placid than yoyos, although yoyos aren't horrible.

Cories also make good, peaceful bottom dwellers.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:43 am

I don't really know anything about discus, but don't they like really calm water? If that's the case, don't get any Botia sp. Cories would probably be ok, or kuhli loaches.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:41 am

Hi fishkid951,

Personally I wouldn't recommend housing any of the Botiine loaches with discus. Their nocturnal behaviour will alarm the discus and can cause them much worry at a time when they should be resting. Certain species also behave in a very boisterous manner when food is added to the tank too (Yo-yos a definite), also stressing the discus. You have to be sure that the discus are definitely getting their fair share of the food too. I think you'd be better off with some of the larger Corydoras species.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

fishkid951

Post by fishkid951 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:33 pm

ok what type of loach/catfish can i get? to me corydoras are ok but i want afew more suggestions. Kuhlis are too small-had a few 6months or so again and i never saw them.
i hav 3 current tanks:
56L/14gal-axalotl tank

fishkid951

Post by fishkid951 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:39 pm

what about something like a dwarf loach? any other types?
i hav 3 current tanks:
56L/14gal-axalotl tank

mikev

Post by mikev » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:31 am

What about plecos instead?

There should be several nice looking plecos, say around 3", that can tolerate the parameters. Large plecos will cause problems with maintaining clean tank, but at 3" or so, you should be able to keep water quality high enough.

---

PS. It is interesting that the Clowns like Discus' slime coat. Grown up SAE's do too. Something tasty out there....

shannon

Post by shannon » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:02 am

i would have to agree with the others and say go with the corydoras fo a bottom dweller they are peaceful enough and do a good job of cleaning the place up.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:18 am

Discus are very high maintenance and shy and should not be kept with Yo-Yos who are boisterus and obnoxious at times. Emma was astute with her comments about this. A Peacock eel or two would add a nice active twist ,stay small and not eat to much nor pay attention to the Discus.Pleco that stays small like a Rubber or a Clown Pleco would be nice. Cory's are always a welcome addition also,the hardest thing about them is deciding which specie you want .Keep your bio-load small with the discus for their health. :) Tinman