Please HELP, Feeding Yoyo and Kuhliis

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

wildwoodxxflower

Please HELP, Feeding Yoyo and Kuhliis

Post by wildwoodxxflower » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:11 am

Hello all,

I have a very happy, very active Yoyo Botia. I also have two lovely, recently purchased Kuhlii loaches, all sharing a tank. The problem is, my Yoyo loach is so greedy, he eats all the food intended for the kuhliis, who are too passive to try to get it first. A pet store employee suggested dropping sinking wafers in for the Kuhliis at night, since, for whatever reason, my Yoyo comes out mostly during the daylight, but that was not successful. The Yoyo simply woke up and found the food before the Kuhliis, who were already out. It's really getting on my nerves, because I'm so worried about the Kuhliis, though they do seem active enough, at night. I'd love any suggestions or thoughts on this. Thank you!!

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:41 am

Hi,

Firstly, yoyo's should be kept in groups, this way your yoyo will be much happier. 5+ is usually recommended, 3 is the absolute minimum. How large is your yoyo and your tank?

Now, what you are describing is typical, especially for young fast growing yoyo's, they get all the food and make the kuhlis uncomfortable. (I've had this experience myself.)

The good news is that kuhlis are not likely to die from this, some fragments of food will stay in substrate, and they will indeed find them at night. Kuhlis don't need large amounts of food. It is still better to give them a proper meal once in a while, and you can do it by dropping food where yoyo's cannot reach but kuhlis can. Or drop the food very close to their mouths so they can grab it before the yoyo shows up; for this purpose frozen bloodworms are the best.

Good luck!

Total Package

Post by Total Package » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:15 am

perhaps try the turkey baster approach to target feeding.

Drop some food in for the yoyos, something that'll take them awhile to eat...like a pellet. This should distract the yoyos. You can then shoot some food from a turkey baster directly where the kuhlis are.