Long distance moving

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

MrSecant

Long distance moving

Post by MrSecant » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:23 pm

I'm going to be moving from Ohio to Texas (about a 20 hour drive) in a couple of weeks. I have about 8 loaches (clowns and yo-yos) no more than 3-4 inches each, and about 10 other fish (mostly rainbows) that aren't much bigger. I'm only worried about the loaches survival right now since they are the most pricy and my favorites. The plan is to put them in two 5 gallon buckets (4 and 4) with battery air pumps, as well as changing the water during the hotel at night and the morning. The rainbows will get their own bucket, and the other fish will get their own too.

Anyone have any other suggestions or experience with long distance moves?

pedzola

Post by pedzola » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:26 pm

I may be making a long distance move in the near future as well (8 hour drive).

I would be anxious to hear of somebody who has experience with this.

I think the more immediate concern would be having a tank set up on the other end prior to moving the fish themselves.

jerry_tyler

Post by jerry_tyler » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:55 pm

I just brought back from calf. to dallas texas, three 7 to 8 inch clown loaches. I bought a 300 watt power inverter. It plugs into the lighter hole.I than bought a air pump and air stone. I also bought a rio pump that kept the water turning. I put this in a 60 quart igloo cooler with wheels and off we went. Everything went well. :lol: :lol:

jerry_tyler

Post by jerry_tyler » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:58 pm

I just brought back from calf. to dallas texas, three 7 to 8 inch clown loaches. I bought a 300 watt power inverter. It plugs into the lighter hole.I than bought a air pump and air stone. I also bought a rio pump that kept the water turning. I put this in a 60 quart igloo cooler with wheels and off we went.25 hrs. straight throught. Everything went well. :lol: :lol:

Bitey

Post by Bitey » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:01 pm

The bigger the body of water, the better. A large cooler or equivalent would be better than a bucket.

Some inverters will run off the car battery without the ignition being on and cut off before draining the car battery.

Also, I found that the solid state Tronic heater stuck on when used with the inverter so test your heater first, if you use one.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:15 pm

I brought several hillstream loaches 1000 miles from Mass. to Indiana on three occasions with no problem. I used two battery operated air pumps while in the car and used a small filter and air pump in the motel room overnight. I brought treated water and did water changes at night. I put the small acrilic tank I used inside a cooler. One thing about hillstreams, though, is that you don't have to worry so much about the temperature. The clowns and yoyos will need to be kept warmer. I agree with bitey that a big cooler would be preferable. Also, be sure to keep everything covered to conserve heat and to prevent any fish from jumping out.
Good luck!

fusQer

Post by fusQer » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:22 am

where in texas are you moving to? hookem \m/ :)

MrSecant

Post by MrSecant » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:13 pm

Waco

jerry_tyler

Post by jerry_tyler » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:57 pm

You will like the winters alot better. I think. I don't like freezing wheather :lol:

MrSecant

Post by MrSecant » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:21 am

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem with a cooler full of water is the weight. Since this will be a two or three day adventure, I'm going to have to bring the guys into the hotel with me. 5 gallon buckets are much easier to move. As far as temperature, I'm not too concerned. I'm moving south afterall...

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:17 am

I can understand the weight issue, but you could look into a smaller cooler.If you have to go with a bucket, be sure to keep a thermometer handy so you can moniter the temp. You could also wrap thick towels or newspaper around the buckets to keep the temp. stable, and keep it covered.
Good luck!

jerry_tyler

Post by jerry_tyler » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:33 pm

Walmart sells a 60qt cooler with wheels and a handle. Just like luggage. Pull the handle out and roll it in the room. You do have to set it out on the ground. Its not that heavy. For that long. That is the kind I got and was it easy.

Bitey

Post by Bitey » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:44 pm

Get a pump or large powerhead and use it to move water from the cooler into buckets or into a second cooler on the ground on a luggage cart.