Horseface clown Loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

MTS

Horseface clown Loach

Post by MTS » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:31 pm

A fish store I found online claims 312 tanks holding 14,000 gallons of freshwater (And is only a hour or so drive away) lists "Horseface clown Loach" on their price list for $2.39. Never heard or seen it before so I was wondering what anyone can tell me about it.

i plan to visit this fish store in a few weeks time. My clown loaches and angels just moved into their new tank freeing up some space in other tanks.

brett_fishman

Post by brett_fishman » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:38 am

i bet its an orange and black striped horseface loach

there was a few fitting this description, named 'tiger horseface loache', at my local petsmart for $4 each.. not bad, but i didnt know how large they get..

-brett.
10g Tank - 1 Male Betta
70g Tank - 2 Pearl Gouramis 10 Harlequin Rasboras 4 Neon Tetras 2 SAEs 1 Swordtail

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:34 pm

Common names can mean anything, do they have a latin name for these fish? A photo would speak a thousand words too. :wink:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:39 pm

Sounds like a Czech hybrid from hell ......Yes...pictures :twisted:

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

MTS

Post by MTS » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:10 pm

They don't have pictures on the website (http://www.cichlidsunlimited.com/), just fishlist with prices. I could try emailing them and see if they know the latin name or if they'll send a picture.

MTS

Post by MTS » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:26 pm

The fish they are selling are Acantopsis choirorhynchus. I found the general information about them on Loaches online but some more info would be appreciated.

What types of fish are they most compatible with? Are they good with clown loaches?

Growing to a max size of 8", what size tank is recommended?

Will I ever see them or do they spend most of their time in the sand?

Do they also need company of the same kind? If so, how many?

shari2

Post by shari2 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:53 pm

Horsefaced loach

But they don't have clown stripes. 8)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

MTS

Post by MTS » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:29 pm

"Clown" might of been a typo on their fish list because when I sent them an email they didn't mention "clown horsefaced" --just horsefaced. They referred me to loaches online to get more info about it.

So, I'm back.... its a cool looking fish. Tell me more...

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:13 am

Mine is a fish that hides very well. He will burrow under the gravel, sometimes, and his camouflage is perfect against the bottom. Cute little guy (gal?) and there are no snails in his tank.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:12 am

MTS wrote:So, I'm back.... its a cool looking fish. Tell me more...
It's pretty much what the profile suggests >> http://www.loaches.com/species-index/ac ... rorhynchus

Care: This species is an active burrower when at rest and escaping from the company of others. This species also tends to search for buried foods. The aquarium substrate MUST be fine-grained and smooth round-edged. Preferable is sand. It should also be deep enough to allow larger specimens sufficient space to bury themselves. Plants can be uprooted as a result of these species burrowing activities. When juvenile, they are more visible. As they mature these loaches become more crespuscular/nocturnal.

Feeding: Most foods accepted. Commercial sinking formulations and bottom-dwelling live-foods. Frozen foods such as Bloodworms and/or brine shrimp. These loaches often filter foods through their gills when kept in a aquarium with sand as a substrate.

A. choirorhynchus are thought to secrete thick slime coats to aid in burrowing, and the slime may be evident as strands in the water column after the fish are removed or the tank disturbed. They are extremely difficult to catch if their needs are properly provided for, so it is wise to place them in a "permanent" setting, rather than planning to upgrade to larger tanks as they grow.