Is this normal loach behavior?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

linarite

Is this normal loach behavior?

Post by linarite » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:04 pm

Help? My 3 loaches were introduced to the tank a week ago. At first they had developed what I thought was a "normal" pattern of being active in the morning and evening hours. Over the last 3 days they have taken to hidding all the time. It's like they aren't even in the tank. I haven't seen them out swimming or eating. I have tested the water (nitrates, nitrites, pH, hardness, chlorine, alkalinity) and everything appears to be fine. The community consist of 3 tetras, 4 corys, the loaches and one pleco in a 30 gallon tank. I have a large air stone (12" in length) and an oversized filter system that moves the water quiet well. These items create a current within the tank strong enough to cause the silk plants to move around so not too concerned about dissolved O2. I try keep a close eye on feeding so I don't create problems for them. Feed 2 or 3 times a day - small amount of Tetramin flakes, one half to a whole Hikari algae wafer and 4 TetraMin variety wafers. I supplement this with shrimp or blood worms about once a week. Any ideas to explain this behavior besides the suggestion that I am worrying too much? lol Any and all ideas would be appreciated.
Linarite

connor

Post by connor » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:28 pm

Hello linarite,

what kind of loaches do you have?
The feeding sounds ok, perhaps a bit too much of the wafers.
Do the loaches have many places to hide? A picture of your aquarium would help. :)

-Connor
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:04 pm

I agree with Connor- do they have enough hiding places? My three like to come out (as twos or threes) at feeding time; also to bugger the pleco when he's been in one place too long. Morning is the best though- VERY complicated clowny dance at 6 am when they are ready for breakfast...accompanied by much clicking...

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

linarite

Post by linarite » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:46 pm

I have 3 clown loaches about 2" in length. You can see one of them peeking out of the "castle". They are the only ones who venture into this area. Do I need to add something else for them? I could certainly move the driftwood to make room for something new or try to add some slate to make another cave. Oh, sorry about the photo quality. Not much of a photographer......

Linarite

connor

Post by connor » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:13 pm

Hello again,

in my humble opinion you should try to add more hiding places, e.g. 3 or 4 pieces of wood arranged so that there are many caves between them.
Loaches also have a particular affection towards anything tube-like (pvc-pipes, hollow bamboo sticks), in fact all my loaches sleep together in one bamboo stick - always.

It may sound paradox, but the more places they have to hide the more you will see of them. Loaches can be a little shy, especially if there are only a few of them (most people suggest 5 as the minimum group size for clowns).

-Connor
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

linarite

Post by linarite » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:16 pm

Hey Connor,

Adding more driftwood wouldn't be a problem. It helps with the balance of the tank as the water here tends to be on the hard side. As for more loaches would adding two or three more overload the tank? I'd love to have more and had to sternly lecture myself about the dangers of over doing it when I purchased these guys. I was also thinking I should lower the level of lighting in the tank. This pic was taken without a flash. After going over the info about the blue lights it seems like it might be a bit bright for them. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me with this.
Linarite

connor

Post by connor » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:49 am

Hey Linarite,

my guess is adding another 2-3 loaches will not be a problem .. yet. Clowns will eventually grow quite large (10"+) so the tank will become too small in some years, whether you have 3 or 6 loaches in it. If getting a larger tank for them in the future is not a problem by all means go ahead and buy them some more company. :)

Regarding lighting, I have about 1 watt/gallon of light in my tank and the loaches don't seem to mind. Perhaps you could just experiment a little and see what happens?

-Connor

revhead

Post by revhead » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:34 am

Hi There.
You did not mention what temp. you are keeping your new clowns at. My guess at this early stage is that your temp. may be at the lower end of the advisable temperature range for these fishes or slightly cooler than they were kept at the lfs. Most fishes are not as active when kept in cooler waters. I would slowly raise thew temp. to the higher end of said range.
Add as many retreats & dark crevices in driftwood or between rock as possible. The more secure these fish feel, the more likely you are to see them as stated previously. When they know they have not far to go & a choice of many hiding places, they feel more secure to come out in the open knowing solace is just a dash away.
I think your feeding regiment is fine although it would not hurt to swap a wafer or two for some more high protein foods such as your bloodworms.
I personally would not add any more clowns to a thirty gallon aquarium. As you know, these fish grow large & having six medium sized fish in a thirty gal would soon become too much & with your feeding regiment, you will soon enough have medium sized clowns !
Your water tests fine so that can be ruled out. I think that they are just getting used to their new home. It certainly appears that care or maintenancs is not lacking so i would just keep a close eye on your new arrivals. I would expect that you will find everything to be fine & the shyness is just the normal personality trait of the lovely clown loach.
Please keep us updated as to how your fish adjust to their new life with you.....
Fish are people you know...

linarite

Post by linarite » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:39 pm

I knew there was something I was forgetting in that list of tank conditions. I keep the tank somewhere between 75 -77 F. Some times, when the house is a little cooler, it might drop some but never below 72F. Is this warm enough?

Yes, a new tank is in their future in about a year or so. Looking to up grade to something in the 55 - 75 gallon range. Maybe a little larger but not much. Can't let them completely take over the house.

I do plan on adding some more driftwood this weekend so will keep ya'll up to date with that change.

Thanks.
Linarite

revhead

Post by revhead » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:32 pm

linarite wrote: it might drop some but never below 72F. Is this warm enough?
This is a little cool & 'may' be the reason your fish are not as social as they could be. Try 78ºF to 83ºF (25-30°C) for best results. Also, fluctuations should be avoided.

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:53 pm

Yes, mine like a temp around 80F...but you're question is...well... is there any such thing as NORMAL loach behavior????

One of the reason's we love them so, Linarite. They are unique- like us

Kate 8)
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

Pixelated_Pirate

Post by Pixelated_Pirate » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:11 am

Hey guys...

Looks like we will get to the bottom of this. I think its either the temp or hiding places... or a combo of both. I wouldn't keep more then 3 clowns in your current set up. Especially since they will grow. One cool hiding place my clowns like to hide is in a tealite candel holder turned upside down.

linarite

Post by linarite » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:25 am

You do have a point there - Normality is way over rated!

I am trying to raise the temp some. Hoping to get it closer to 80 without any mishaps. This is the part that always makes me a little crazy but then that gets us back to that normal thing again.

I would like to see the tealite deal. I was thinking about adding something like that to my tank but wasn't sure that it would work. I was thinking dark hidding places. Could you send a pic?
Linarite

revhead

Post by revhead » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:25 pm

Small terracotta pots turned upside down make good dark retreats as long as your not going for the 'natural' look. Personally, i don't add anything that dosen't look natural..eg., i use lots of hollow logs & smooth river stones just stacked up so there's lots of room for the fishes to swim between them & take refuge in the nooks & crannies created by them. Imo, nothing looks better than a pile of nice looking rocks & driftwood creating wood 'tangles' as would be found on the bottom of many creeks & rivers. My 2 cents worth...

linarite

Post by linarite » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:44 pm

Well, driftwood is on my shopping list for tomorrow. I really like a more natural look with just a bit of whimsy tossed in for fun. I do have some rather nice pieces of quartz that I found on my last hiking trip in the tank now. Also have several river rocks in my garden that could be used in the tank with just a quick wash. Maybe I can do something with these and the wood to create that "tangle" look. After I get things arranged I will post a new pic. Would like your feedback.

Also the temp in the tank is up to around 78. All of the fish seem more comfortable and active. Thanks for the idea.

And that is one wicked looking avatar you use revhead......
Linarite