Chinese weatherfish

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

TammyLiz

Post by TammyLiz » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:49 pm

Wait a minute, you keep your odessas in cold water? For goodness sakes, I guess I've been baking mine. No wonder it seems like yours have more color. I keep them with my gouramis at 76deg F. For those who don't know, I have 7 of them, around an inch long.
I also have 3 whiteclouds in a little coldwater tank along with a 1 inch snail. They are always biting off his feelers, poor thing.
I think I am going to reseal my tank before I do anything, though. As I went to set it up (for the loaches or something else I wasn't sure) I realized it has blue silicone on it. I know the sealant had no anti-mold chemicals or anything in it, because I picked it out myself and it said 100% silicone. My dad resealed it for me years ago when I was still living at home. I had forgotten my surprise in it being blue. I used the tank for a year with no problems, then stored it in a basement. Would you redo it? It would be a pain in the butt.

mikev

Post by mikev » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:57 pm

TammyLiz wrote:Wait a minute, you keep your odessas in cold water?
No, I don't, I only tried 70F for a couple of months. They are at 75F now.
I'm not even saying that 70F was the best choice; the information out there is really conflicting. 60F for a barb does sound crazy....

But somehow I thought the color looked better at 70F, and they were a bit more active, so I would have stayed with 70F if it were not for the loaches I added to their tank....

White Clouds incidentally are my next buy (after the new tank finished cycling -- not yet), they are to join the hillstreams.

With dojos, I just don't know how well the entire thing would look like: big loaches and very small dither.

Lotus

Post by Lotus » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:57 pm

Just FYI, I have read several places that say one of the problems with ponds is that birds (or other predators) can pick up the fish, then later drop them over another body of water.

I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

TammyLiz

Post by TammyLiz » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:05 pm

Oh, now that is an interesting point. Ha! And I was imagining them flopping accross the road. Silly. Since I am so close to a river, it would be a real possibility.
Just as a side note, I saw a bald eagle soaring over the river yesterday as I was driving home, and he landed in a treetop. We stopped the car to admire him for a few seconds. They really are beautiful and powerful looking birds. Then the guy behind us started getting irritated. I don't think he saw the bird, and it's a single lane, one way street. :P