Chinese weatherfish

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

TammyLiz

Chinese weatherfish

Post by TammyLiz » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:39 pm

http://loaches.com/species_pages/misgur ... lepis.html

I think I saw two of these yesterday mixed in with a shipment of weather loaches. Does anyone know anything else about them? Does this page mean they only grow to 6" or that the one in the pic was 6" at the time?

Cold water like weather loaches? Might they be OK in with my new rostratas in the 55 gallon tank which I keep at 76deg F?

I don't know...I just couldn't really find much on them. And I'm not positive this was them since I didn't have my camara but its pretty close, I noted the color, the number of barbles, and the shape of the one at the store, all match this picture.

sophie

Post by sophie » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:24 am

I am fairly sure that one of my misgurnus is one of these (I don't think either is the anguillicaudatus) and it is absolutely comfortable in a 4 foot coldwater tank. Nice fish. They need a fair amount of swimming room and a sandsubstrate (they sift it through their gills looking for food).

My feeling is that there are quite a lot of misgurnus species out there that aren;t hugely well-documented in the hobby,and various ones of them turn up for sale in aquatics shops from time to time.
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:55 am

Hi, Tammy,

If you happen to have a pond, this actually may be the dream option to consider....
I heard that some people keep dojos outside in places like Scotland and Ontario, there are rumors that there are wild dojos now in Oregon, and you have much warmer climate.... A small pond with these and koi should look great.
(Of course, you need to make sure that the fish comes from N.China or Korea indeed, but if yes, it should work).

TammyLiz

Post by TammyLiz » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:19 am

These in a pond with some koi would be so amazing. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have that. What do you think would be the minimum size/depth for this? I am sure I'm just dreaming, but it doesn't hurt to dream. I feel like going to get them and sticking them in a tank temporarily. I'm sure I will eventually have a pond. But I don't have any sand. I would have to buy that and my husband might kill me. We will see how much sand costs. I have been thinking about these fish since I saw them. I think they were the first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning. Pitiful? Maybe a little.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:24 am

Nothing like spreading rumors is there Mr V. I wouldn't consider this a sensible thing to announce, do you?

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:53 am

Graeme Robson wrote:Nothing like spreading rumors is there Mr V. I wouldn't consider this a sensible thing to announce, do you?
I really don't see a problem since the information also came from LOL,
http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php ... ght=oregon
and I see no reasons to distrust it; everything Jim said so far was gold.

I thought that picking up unneeded fights was not your way?--you said something like this only two days ago. :wink:

Tammy,

You need to research this carefully. The thread I linked above is one place, and there were posts on -- I think TFF -- about the Scotland dojos. Google around, see if you can locate the posts and ask the person who did it for details.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:00 am

Your right and wrong!

I can pick arguments and i never see many "Misgurnas anguillicaudatus" that can escape from a aquarium to a lake/river.

Think on it.

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:13 am

Graeme Robson wrote:Your right and wrong!
I cannot parse this. :)
I don't pick arguments and i never see many "Misgurnas anguillicaudatus" that can escape from a aquarium to a lake/river.

Think on it.
I fail to see the connection between what I said above and what you just said.

"i never see many" --- does it mean you see some? Some details will be appreciated. :wink:

PS. Interesting.. "don't" became "can" while I was replying.... Either way is fine.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:34 am

So you don't understand me?

Please parse it, as it is parse-able!

Did you reply to my last post? "i never see many "Misgurnas anguillicaudatus" that can escape from a aquarium to a lake/river."

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:42 am

Graeme Robson wrote: Did you reply to my last post? "i never see many "Misgurnas anguillicaudatus" that can escape from a aquarium to a lake/river."
Why should I reply?

I don't have much information about fish escapes from an aquarium to a lake; and this is not of much interest to me and of no use to TammyLiz. If you have something interesting to say about fish escapes, please go ahead.

Meanwhile, please do note that we were not talking about escapes at all. :wink:

---

I would like to request a small favor from you. The usual etiquette on forums requires posters addressing each other by their nicknames, so "Mr. V" should stop.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:04 am

mikev wrote:Meanwhile, please do note that we were not talking about escapes at all. :wink:
Who says?
Definaly not you!
mikev wrote:Why should I reply?
Becuase we all know you will. :lol:

mikev

Post by mikev » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:07 am

Graeme Robson wrote:Becuase we all know you will. :lol:
To random noise?

TammyLiz

Post by TammyLiz » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:08 am

I see I should be more careful talking about things that I would like before researching them! Don't worry. I don't do things without research. Usually it goes something like this:

1. I see lots of interesing fish. (OK, a little obvious)
2. I begin to imagine combinations of things that may be a lot of fun to maintain and play with.
3. I do research to see if my idea will work.
4. I buy or don't buy based on what I have learned.

So you see you caught me in stage 2 where I see in my minds eye the whole setup that I dreamed up, before I researched it.

I do see that there is a risk of these things walking right out of the pond and into a river. Since I live literally 2 blocks from a large river, this is something to think about. I couldn't really see one crossing the street, but you never know. Hmm..that would be pretty funny. Plus, more than one would have to do it in order to breed.
I don't really see any sense in repremanding mikev (note the proper use of the user name there :wink:) for the suggestion of putting them in a pond. Apparantly there are people (others not on LOL) who have kept species that are similar in ponds that froze over in the winter, alongside koi. So it is not imipossible, and he did make sure he said something about properly identifying where the specific fish is from first.

TammyLiz

Post by TammyLiz » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:11 am

Nothing like a little Sunday morning spat.

EDIT: Graeme, thats not fair to delete your posts.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:16 am

I will do as like young lady!

Dont tell me what to do now!