Help with Loach ID Please

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Radcliffe

Help with Loach ID Please

Post by Radcliffe » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:01 pm

I just couldn't resist this little guy- it is only an inch long, seems to spend a lot of time investigating the walls of the tank.
I can guess it is a loach, but don't know what kind- help? They sold it to me telling me it is a clown loach.
The only black and white loach I could find online is an endangered one that gets to 40 inches long. The one I have is only an inch now, but I simply do not have the resources to care for anything that big. For now it is in a heaily planted community 29 gallon, and I am cycling a 55 so there is some room.

Thank you so much!

--R

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:07 pm

Radcliffe

Post by Radcliffe » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:23 pm

Hmm, how on earth would a Petco get ahold of an endangered species that is so completely unsuitable for aquariums??? Grrrr....

Now I have to decide, do I return it to the store and have it be sold as a clown loach to someone else, or do I keep it and give it as good a life as I can? Any ideas on what is the best, most humane thing to do for this little guy?

--R

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:40 pm

This thread may be of interest, as it shows the sort of size this fish attains: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/f ... +asiaticus

I would be inclined to ask around at a few knowledgeable and reputable stores to see if any would be willing to take this fish off your hands. Some stores have contact details of people with XXXL aquaria/indoor fish ponds etc, who may be able to rehome such potential tankbusters.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Radcliffe

Post by Radcliffe » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:26 pm

Well good news, I suppose, is that they are very slow growers, so I would have some time before having to give it up. Doesn't seem like schooling is necessary, the store had 3 of them and they were nowhere near each other.

I hope he at least eats the snails I have for him while I have him :-)

It just boggles my mind that they would sell such an inappropriate fish!

--R

Total Package

Post by Total Package » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:45 pm

There are alot of fish at the chain stores that are really unsuitable for 90%+ of the aquariums out there.

Pangias catfish (irridescent sharks)
bala sharks (can work, but usually aren't sold with the understanding they can reach a foot)
channel catfish (I assume they're meant as a pond fish, but they're still a potential 3 footer)

Those are 3 that I see for sale around here that IMO really shouldn't be in (most) home aquarium. There are some who can house them, but not many.

qumqats

Post by qumqats » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:47 pm

Even the common Clown Loach is questionable in my mind.

How many people can truly give an adult clown loach an appropriate home over the potential life time of a clown loach?

10" and 30 years! thats quite a commitment!

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:14 pm

and silver sharks....

we had a medium sized one come in the other day, and my boss took it to a local wildlife park. along with some silver dollars and 3 of the biggest plecs i have ever seen. all out a 4 foot tank.

Radcliffe good luck, and be reassumed you are not the only one to unsuspectingly buy a tankbuster due to poor buying by pet stores

Diana

Post by Diana » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:25 pm

Pacu are certainly on this 'tankbuster'/ "Why, oh why do they sell them" list
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

crazy loaches

Post by crazy loaches » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:50 am

There are so many fish sold that are completely unsuitable for what they claim, the Chineese hi-fin banded shark is definately in the top 10 list.

But what the heck are they doing selling them as clown loaches??? They need to fix that, and I would think they should be able to also give you a refund for selling you the wrong fish that they clearly had no idea what they were doing. I mean if you went to a reseraunt and ordered a steak and recieved a burger... or went to the store and bought a bottle of pop but instead it was mislabled bleach... Petstores just seem to get away with way to much.

Batch

Post by Batch » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:34 am

Hi,
Question for the experts. What kind of temperature can these guys handle? One of these would look very cool in my pond... Space/filtration etc. wouldn't be a problem... but we do get some ice in the winter
which probably means the water gets in the mid-30s F. I should be able keep it at 40 degrees without a problem.... Hmmmmmmm...
Batch

butterfly01

Post by butterfly01 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:14 pm

Radcliffe- glad to see you brought your picture over to the experts :) The back didn't seem arched enough to be Myxocyprinus asiaticus but I guess it is. glad to see you know for sure now.
Carol

Radcliffe

Post by Radcliffe » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:58 pm

qumqats wrote:Even the common Clown Loach is questionable in my mind.

How many people can truly give an adult clown loach an appropriate home over the potential life time of a clown loach?

10" and 30 years! thats quite a commitment!
Oh I know! I have loved clowns for ages but never even looked at them till now when I have the 55 cycling. Still, they like to have friends and I want a lot of plants, so I will likely continue to love them from afar. I spent a good hour last night making a list of all the 4 inch max plecos in case I happen upon one, for much the same reason.

If there is anyone in the general Kansas City US area who has a proper home my little high fin loach could enjoy I would be very happy to give him to you. I don't have a cold water tank, let alone a tank anywhere large enough, but feel bad even thinking about returning him to Petco.

Thank you all so very much for your help! Yes, Butterfly, I did seek out the experts :-)

--R

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:49 pm

You do know that these fish are illegal to keep in home aquariums/ponds. The Chinese sucker was once a popular food in China. They travel in groups and migrate up the Yangtze river to spawn. The females lay an enormous amount of eggs (50,000+) which are then guarded by the males. After the completion of the Yangtze river dam, catches declined dramatically and re-establishing populations have not been successful. The Myxocyprinus asiaticus has now become a protected animal.

Just thought i'd inform you guys on this. This must be a difficult situation for you Radcliffe. Sorry i cant help any further.

butterfly01

Post by butterfly01 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:00 pm

So how do the stores get them to sell? I saw one in an aquarium store about three months ago for sale and it was marked correctly.
or is it not illegal to sell just to own :shock:
Carol