Hello from Prince George, BC, Canada

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

bslindgren

Hello from Prince George, BC, Canada

Post by bslindgren » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:29 am

I'm new to LOL, and hope an intro post is OK here. I'm a fairly recent loach fanatic, even though I have kept tropical fish off and on for around 50 years. Right now I have a modest 33 gal community tank, that includes 5 clown loaches (one 3" and four 1" - oh how I regret not getting a group from the start) and 4 B. kubotai (what a delightful fish). In addition I have four Cory's, two Synodontis eupterus, one Ancistrus sp (3) bushynose pleco, and a small school of black neon and silvertip tetras. I had four kuhli loaches, but they mysteriously vanished - I am suspicious of the largest Syno having something to do with that. Both the Syno's and the CL will force me to get a bigger tank, although I am thinking of replacing the Synos with a small school of S. nigriventis. The CL will probably give me a year or two since they seem to grow slowly - the bigger one I have is about 4-5 years old (or is that because I keep it in a tank that's too small?) As stated on LOL, it is a shame that LFSs don't keep B. striata or other mild-mannered smallish loaches rather than CL, but the flip argument is that the CL is one of the more strikingly colored freshwater fish, and the name is very well chosen. My bigger one is a constant source of entertainment. He (or is it a she?) tries to break up skirmishes among the B. kubotai, he has figured out that he can pick up pieces of algae disks and take them to a secluded spot where he can eat in peace for a few minutes until he gets discovered by the kubotai or one of the Synos. In the latter case he'll try to muscle the catfish out of the way. Usually that fails, so he picks up the disk and goes somewhere else. Back and forth he goes until all the disks are consumed. He has made my heart skip a beat when sleeping on his side, but of course he rights himself as soon as you approach the tank. If there ever was a fish with personality - the CL has to be it! I have started taking pictures with some success, so I will post eventually. Anyway, if there are other loach fanatics in northern BC I'd like to hear from you. Otherwise I look forward to getting all the great advice from experts and others like myself from LOL.

revhead

Post by revhead » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:44 am

Hi there & welcome to the forum.

If you love loaches, you'll love it here !!
Fish are people you know...

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:29 am

Hi and welcome to LOL. You're certainly rather "out there" in PG.....must be beautiful scenery. I think your nearest LOL members are around Vancouver. Glad to hear that you are aware of the potential size of some of your fish and are already making future plans.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:11 am

Hello up there :D
Syno's eat about anything they can get in there mouth,I love them too but mine are in a larger tank with bigger mates now. :) Home fishkeeping has changed much in your amount of fish keeping time.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:20 am

Welcome to Loaches Online! :D

fish-geek

Re: Hello from Prince George, BC, Canada

Post by fish-geek » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi welcome to LOL. About your kuhlii loaches, are you sure they haven't dug burrows, I hear they dig, and sometimes even storm the filters for burrows, my friend almost threw hers out during maintenance! Good luck with your fish
-fish geek

boxercrazy156

Re: Hello from Prince George, BC, Canada

Post by boxercrazy156 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:45 am

welcome I'm from Ontario Canada and have 15 loaches myself can you post some pics