Caves they prefer?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ded1

Caves they prefer?

Post by Ded1 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:38 pm

In your own experiances, talking about clowns and caves, smaller the cave, the more they like it?

I bulit a fantastic cave ( because I am NOT very skillfule with my hands, it really turned out great), so I say it is fantastic.

It is made of 1 stone, 2 driftwoods. Dont have a picture, but imagine...stone make a right wall, driftwoods are making left side wall and the roof, and java moss on one of the driftwoods is making cave dark.

I was building the bloody thing 1 and a half hour. My expectation was...wow, I did it, and only the biggest clown somehow "likes it", because he is too big to squeeze with others behind broken background of the tank ( they like that for long years now ).

And I said to myself..."oh man, the entrance and the cave are too big, clowns like small hiding places and to squeeze! How wrong is my conclusion? ( will try to post picture tommorow ).

Really trying to give this guys cave they will love it...any advices? Anykind. :?

linarite

Post by linarite » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:52 pm

I'm really glad you asked this question as I have been wondering the same thing. I recently added some driftwood to my tank in what I thought was a great configuration. I was able to make one small cave and one larger area. Only one of my loaches even approaches it. Today, I added a couple of more rocks to the back of the larger area to make it more cave-like. It will be interesting to see what everyone else has to say on the matter.
Linarite

Ded1

Post by Ded1 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:18 pm

Maybe there is a hint like, cave has to have small opening, or something. Do they like if cave has a lot of space inside, or just enough to squeeze...

So linarite and I will wait for your advices :)

NancyD

Post by NancyD » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:52 pm

My clowns, apparently unlike everyone else's, like rather big caves. I have both large & small, they prefer large, rock more than wood.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:02 pm

Keep them in a mixed-up environment. Large openings with smaller exits and the odd gap here and there. They often always make up their own minds on which area is preferred. Irregular shelters and size's are best in my opinion, it replicates the natural habitat in which they live in.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:47 pm

It may not be the size of the cave, but there may bo some way the water flows through it that makes the difference. Try turning the cave so the entrance faces a different direction, or moving the filter, or powerhead to alter the water flow.

I have several pieces of bark that make natural caves in several tanks, and the various loaches and catfish do use them.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:54 pm

Graeme Robson wrote:Keep them in a mixed-up environment. Large openings with smaller exits and the odd gap here and there. They often always make up their own minds on which area is preferred. Irregular shelters and size's are best in my opinion, it replicates the natural habitat in which they live in.
I think Graeme's on the mark here. Mine seem to like the various sizes/placements of openings...but yes, they also seem to like trying to force themselves into the smallest opening possible. They also prefer whichever cave the Pleco is in...he's had to move several times!

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:06 pm

They also prefer whichever cave the Pleco is in...he's had to move several times!
Just like kids! No matter what toy one child is playing with, they all want that one toy, and nothing else.

Happy fish keeping!

linarite

Post by linarite » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:20 pm

And it doesn't seem to matter to them that they might smaller than a pleco. At least in my tank they just keep messing with him until he moves someplace else.
Linarite

revhead

Post by revhead » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:42 am

Hi Guys. I find that just putting smaller stones on the bottom of the tank & then larger relatively flat ones on top of that makes lots of different sized nooks & crannies for the loaches to squeeze into or lounge around in at their leisure.
Just my 2 cents for what it's worth...
Fish are people you know...

Ded1

Post by Ded1 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:01 am

@Graeme

Sorry to bother you with another question. By "irregular" shelters, what exactly do you mean? Something that does not look "built", but randomly fallen (in that sense? ) - my english, sorry :?

@Diana

Interesting point. You think they would prefer a water flow going through the cave?

linarite

Post by linarite » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:19 am

When I added the stones yesterday I tried the "pile" thing in one area and it seems to have worked. I noticed my loaches checking it out last night. I also placed another rather long, flat piece up against the driftwood at an angle to make a opening that is smaller at the back than the front. Everybody in the tank likes that one. Now, if I could get my bravest, most likely the alpha dude, to quit carrying off the shrimp pellet and being a pig about it...
Linarite

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:14 am

Irregular piles of stones and wood might make a more natural looking cave from our point of view; I do not know how the fish see it.

Yes, either a flow through the cave (helps with cleaning, too: debris is removed by angling the waterflow just right.) or aimed past the opening such that some water flows through the cave, but maybe not the full force.

Happy fish keeping!

linarite

Post by linarite » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:31 am

I think you might be on to something Diana. After I closed up the large opening some with the pile of rocks I noticed more movement in the plants behind the pile indicating that the current was moving thru the opening. Within a couple of hours I had 2 of my loaches hanging out in here along with the cory cats. I'm anxious to see what develops today after all of the loaches have had the evening to explore and discover the changes. Maybe I will see my shy one today.
Linarite

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:02 pm

Diana wrote:Irregular piles of stones and wood might make a more natural looking cave from our point of view; I do not know how the fish see it.
Very true! However, anything that replicates their natural habitat can only be a good thing for them to feel settled in the environment. And personally eye friendly for us keepers. It may just be me, but i like to see a biotope set-up for them rather than a boxed tower of shelters that looks like bricks. Each to there own though.