Tankmates for Kubs

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

neppy

Tankmates for Kubs

Post by neppy » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:58 pm

I'm planning to move my Botia Kubotai's to a much larger tank and would like some suggestions as to what kind of fish work well with them. I was thinking maybe a group of 5 Striatas to round out the bottom of the tank but what sort of fish work well with Kubs for the middle/upper levels of the tank?

Also will Kubs damage/eat plants? My Yoyos punch holes in everything but Im not entirely sure if the Kubs are joining in when I'm not looking.

Blue

Post by Blue » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:26 am

Yoyos do love to damage plants by punching holes on them. I'm not sure about the kubs as I have yet to see mine do the same.

Anything that will stand the currents required by the loaches are fine tankmates. I have them with the Congo tetras. Danios and Rasbora boraptensis will also work.
Passion for loaches + Passion for snails = Irony

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:13 am

I have my Kubotai's with Yoyo's, Rostrata's, Striata's, Dario's and Zodiac loaches and they all get along fine, I have a mixtur of Java fern and Anubias in the tank and nothing really touches the plants.

As far as dithers go I have just Rasboras and Barbs:

Rasboras: dorsiocellata, heteromorpha, pauciperforata, borapatensis and paviei.

The barbs I have in there are Puntius filamentosus but these will be replaced soon when they move to the 7ft

Any Danio's would work well and keep the Asian theme too.

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:54 am

What about temperature considerations for the danios? I'm thinking about suitable dithers for my loach tank atm...although I'm considering just leaving it at loaches!

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:24 am

palaeodave wrote:What about temperature considerations for the danios? I'm thinking about suitable dithers for my loach tank atm...although I'm considering just leaving it at loaches!
Most Danio species will be fine upto around 76' which is the lower end for but still fine for Kubotai's, that is one of the reasons why I have all Rasboras and Barbs they are not as fussy with regards to temp's.

Pardon my honesty - I am a Northerner

14 loach species bred, which will be next?

Total Package

Post by Total Package » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:33 am

I have mine in with botia striata, turquoise rainbows, a platy I've had for a while, and a bristlenose pleco.

They all get along well but the rainbows are greedy fish.

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:26 am

I have several species of Rainbows, a Synodontis eutropius, and an African Brown Knife with mine.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!