Chromobotia macracanthus and growth

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ded1

Chromobotia macracanthus and growth

Post by Ded1 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:15 am

I have 5 of my clowns ( 4 of them were juveniles when I got them ) in 4 feet, 75gl tank.

I can see the progress in growth on 3 of them. But I have the smallest, and this little guy he is like two years old and I don`t think he got a nano milimeter in his growth. He is very heathy and normal clown, he just doeasn`t seem to grow.

How often is this with small clowns? Or will this cute guy stay a midget or something :D

Nothing wrong with him.

Diana

Post by Diana » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:27 am

Often the fish that do not seem to grow have one of 2 issues going on: They have internal parasites, or other disease issue. No matter how much they eat, they do not gain weight or grow very much.
Smallest or younger fish are at the bottom of the rankings between the fish and get chased the most, burning off what calories they eat, so this does not go into growth, and they get chased away from the best food, so they get less to eat, less calories.

Can you post pics of this one, and the other fish?
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Ded1

Post by Ded1 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:04 am

Will post a pic as soon as possibile.

Funny, I allways take care that his belly is full, and allways is...but he is also most active clown, that is for sure. I doubt that there are internal parasites, he was never skinny.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:34 pm

I have a few small clowns that are lacking growth also. I've been doing lots of research on this subject and have found that there are other reasons beside parasites and other diseases.

It's a lengthy subject, that's mostly about fish hormones.
I'm currently writting an article about this. I hope to have it finished soon.

Ded1

Post by Ded1 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:12 pm

chefkeith wrote:I have a few small clowns that are lacking growth also. I've been doing lots of research on this subject and have found that there are other reasons beside parasites and other diseases.

It's a lengthy subject, that's mostly about fish hormones.
I'm currently writting an article about this. I hope to have it finished soon.
I hope also :)

Blue

Post by Blue » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:16 pm

All 7 of mine are growing a lot.:shock: They get their fair share.;) Some feed on the bottom while the others go to the surface and be fed on my fingers.8) What I don't like though is the fact that my yoyos keep biting all my fingers.:shock: :lol:
Passion for loaches + Passion for snails = Irony