Feelin' Hot, Hot, Hot

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

connor

Post by connor » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:37 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:This is a rampant drug-den of course. Loachaholicism is rife.
So you dry your loaches, grind them to powder and then smoke them?
This would explain at least some of your posts, of course. :)

SCNR,

Connor

PS: I like my loach spliffs with a touch of minced hillstream liver.
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:28 pm

Just when you thought you were weird, you find out there's others who are weirder :lol:

LOL connor.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

worldrallynut

Post by worldrallynut » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:25 am

I spent the day at the autocross. Working the course in 94 degree heat with 100% humidity I managed to consume 2 liters of water in 4 hours and sunburn to a nice crispy red. Now I am a human lobster :lol:.
Jeremy

ckk125

Post by ckk125 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:09 am

here in malaysia, where my clown tank is located outside of my house, from day till night, it stays at 92 with no problems at all.All year round at this temperature...occasionally it will fall down to 86 when it rains all day long.

The best thing is, at such high temperature, white spot aint any problem.

room temperature, 105, clown tank, 92, humidity, almost 100
Chen

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:53 am

Wow, Chen!
Don't know if I could stand it. I'm better suited for Alaskan temperatures...nice thick blubber layer. :lol:
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:00 am

Boy oh boy! I'd be dying there Chen :?

And Shari.....hope you're having a whale of a good time today :twisted:

Martin (in trouble).

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:44 pm

I lost one of my Annamia normani today, which I am pretty certain is heat related. :cry: The same thing happened with one of these fish last year during a really hot spell of weather (despite high O2 levels) - I really don't think they are as tolerant of the odd hot spell as some species are. The river tank is on 86 deg F today, so lights are being kept off and I have been carrying out lots of partial water changes. Same with my Schistura tank which is up at 80 deg F. :? Trouble is, our RO water collects in a water butt outside and it's really not much cooler than the water in the tanks at the moment. Doing the frozen water bottle thing too, not that it is having much effect.

Roll on some thunderstorms and a bit of cooler weather. Please!

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

connor

Post by connor » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:42 pm

Emma,

have you tried fans? Any fan will do, as long as it's directed straight on the water surface.

I have no problems anymore in lowering the tank temperature, it just takes a few hours and of course I loose approx. half a litre of water every hour. Also the rooms becomes a lot more humid but that's it. :)

With 2 tiny computer fans I have lowered my 300 L tank temperature from 31°C to 27°C in about 6 hours. Room temp. was ~28°C.

-Connor
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:32 pm

Saturday in the San Francisco Bay Area was very hot. Not record breaking, but a little warmer than average. I was about 20 miles inland, and the temperature was over 100* F, but the humidity was very low.

My daughter and several friends were in a horse show. I drove one truck & trailer, a friend drove the other. 8 horses. 2 younger kids, 4 teenagers, 2 Moms, and several horse show friends finished off 4 gallons of water, a gallon of iced tea, a gallon of apple juice and a box of Capri Sun, and they were also getting cups of ice water as the 20 lb of ice melted in the ice chest. (I think they drank about a gallon this way, too)
We spent most of the day between events walking the horses over to the tub of water, then refilling the tub.

On the way out we refilled 2 of the gallon jugs, and drank this in the trucks during the drive home.

The parking for the show was on a graveled surface, and we were not among the lucky few who got there in time to park under the few trees.

Today (Sunday) is almost record cold for this time of year. The clouds have moved in, and a cold breeze is blowing. I doubt it got much warmer than the lowest 70's (And that, only if you were out of the wind)
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:08 pm

It's cooled off some here too in the last two days, but going up a bit again tomorrow.

Martin.

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:08 pm

Hi all,

First of all let me introduce myself. My name is Marcos, I live in Rio de Janeiro-Brazil and decided to join this comunity to exchange knowledge on loaches with you. It´s a great pleasure to be here. 8)
Martin Thoene wrote:The Clown tank was down to 83.4F this morning with the fan on it all night
Temperature is a major worry here in Brazil. My loaches tank is never bellow 82F. Not rare to go up to 90F. I do have a homemade chiller but it´s not that powerfull. The thing I often do is to put some bottles filled with ice. I have a dozen of them here in the freezer, despite of my wife´s complains :shock:
Fortunatelly, we are now in winter here (are we?) and water temperature is now lower (some 82F).

Sorry on my poor english...
Best regards,

Marcos
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

Martin Thoene

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:12 pm

The English is great Marcos. Welcome to Loaches Online. I normally keep my Clown tank at 82.5F or thereabouts for most of the year. Clowns actually like it warm but I was worried about some barbs in the tank and actually one of my old Tiger barbs died this morning although the temperature is back to normal. It's possible the heat had stressed it and old age caught up.

Martin.

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:55 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome Martin!

I use to access loaches.com regulary. Guess I have read most articles a couple times. I have one word to express what I think of them:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :lol:

They are great!

Marcos
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

Ciddian

Post by Ciddian » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:00 am

Welcome!! :D

Every time i went to get a frozen water bottle seems the bf beat me too it! Hehe..

I have smaller tanks so they help quite a lot.

ckk125

Post by ckk125 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:29 am

using iced bottles may not be a good idea, the temperature fluctuations may cause harm to the fish...
Chen