My new 1000 liters clown loaches tank (page 22)

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Emma Turner

Re: My new 1000 liters clown loaches tank (page 22)

Post by Emma Turner » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:51 pm

Marcos, your new aquarium is fantastic! I'm sure the clowns are going to love it! 8) 8) 8)

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks Emma,

Just uploaded a small video showing the tank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25KnU493Cts
My 450L Loaches tank
31 clown, 5 morleti, 2 sidthimunki

cider

Post by cider » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:00 am

Awesome tank ! It is great when we read and see someone's dream tank come true !! Beautiful job and choice of materials.
Wow :D thanks for sharing ,
G
cider

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:11 pm

Really, really nice!! Very happy for you. Second what cider said. He put it better than I could.
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:06 pm

Indeed guys...

As you might have read in late pages of this topic, it was a dream to be acomplished in a lifetime. And it became possible right close to my birthday. Cycling is expected to finish very close to my 50 years old aniversary (october 9th - gifts can be shipped to Brazil) :mrgreen:
My 450L Loaches tank

UVvis

Post by UVvis » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Very nice. I really like the dimensions for that tank. I take care of a display tank that is the same volume, but the dimensions make it really hard to work in/around the tank. You really have a gem in those dimensions.

How is your sump plumbing set up? I don't see any overflows or returns in the tank unless they are hidden very well (behind the dark rear wall?), if that's the case, amazing job! What type of flow rate are you expecting through the sump?

Is the sump all glass too? Looks amazingly well built. The multiple lids are awesome. For water changes are you planning to take the water from the tank, or from the sump?

Is it a standard glass, or starphire? The bevel cuts on the glass are a really nice touch. It makes it hard to tell, but the pictures looked like the glass was pretty much tint free. Really helps it have a simple, but refined modern look to the tank.

How thick is the bottom panel of glass? Did you have to do any special work to the supports to make sure the bottom panel sits level and flat? Or is there a frame that the glass is floating in? The stand/support is great. You probably have enough support to hold up ten tanks of that size.

Any thought to adding a UV sterilizer?

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:20 pm

Wow, wow... too many questions UVvis! Quoting Jack the ripper, "let´s do it in parts": :D
How is your sump plumbing set up? I don't see any overflows or returns in the tank unless they are hidden very well (behind the dark rear wall?), if that's the case, amazing job! What type of flow rate are you expecting through the sump?
All very well hidden. I fooled you, right? Ok, let´s show the magic:
Starting with the pump:
It´s a 5000 Liter/hour ViaAqua pump. I added a register to fine calibrate the intake so I can have less flow, if desired:Image
The incomming water drops from a 2" pipe with a protection cap to prevent fish jumps:
As you can see in this very picture, behind that cap there is a multi holed 2.3 meter long pipe, parallel to the water surface, just a bit above it so the returning of the water seams like rain.
Is the sump all glass too? Looks amazingly well built.
100% glass, except for the behive like white structure in plastic. Actually, I´m also using acrilic behives like structures like those on top of aquarium because our summers are very hot. By doing so, evaporation will be free, the heat exchange will be easyier and fish will not be able to jump off the tank:
The multiple lids are awesome
Indeed they are. A bit expensive but they do a great job and consume very little. They will pay themselves in a few months. Here is a photo of the lamp system from above:
For water changes are you planning to take the water from the tank, or from the sump?
Both possibilities are available, but I think it´s better to take from the tank, because of vaccumming the gravel.
Is it a standard glass, or starphire? The bevel cuts on the glass are a really nice touch. It makes it hard to tell, but the pictures looked like the glass was pretty much tint free. Really helps it have a simple, but refined modern look to the tank.
It´s standard 12mm thick glass, but cut and polished in a modern laser apparatus, you can´t find deffects.
How thick is the bottom panel of glass? Did you have to do any special work to the supports to make sure the bottom panel sits level and flat? Or is there a frame that the glass is floating in?
As I told abobe, all glasses are 12mm thick, but in the bottom there is extra 12mm reinforcements all around bottom and up area. There are also straigh reinforcemntes: one bellow, 2 above. Take a look and see the reinforcements on bottom glass:
All silicon work was made with black silicon. I think the result was cool. In this very photo you can see the holes for the pipes in an out.
The stand/support is great. You probably have enough support to hold up ten tanks of that size.
Well, you know the saying: "It´s better exceed parameters and have a nice sleeping night". Guys from the aquarium company swear to God that the concrete walls were enough to hold the weigh but I prefer to also use 8 wooden stick to make an 8 legged table as well. Armored concrete floor can bend, but not the structure (hope so) :roll:
Any thought to adding a UV sterilizer?
I do have one, but it´s in use on my 450 liter tank with my Clown loaches right now. I plain to use it in new tank, but not right now. I´ll wait at least 6 months for water to be aged enough before using an UV sterilizer.

Thanks everybody for your nice words! Image

Marcos.
My 450L Loaches tank

UVvis

Post by UVvis » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:34 am

Thanks Marcos,

Again, very nice and tanks for the answers. Really nice job hiding the plumbing. Now that I know what to look for, I can see the overflow drain... Sneaky. Thanks for the info on the bottom supports.

I'm still impressed by the sump. I'd want to show that off.

namal

Post by namal » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:03 am

brilliant

cider

Post by cider » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:29 am

bookpage wrote:Really, really nice!! Very happy for you. Second what cider said. He put it better than I could.
thanks and fyi--I'm a chick not ''he'' :wink: no prob.
cider

bookpage

Post by bookpage » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:01 pm

My apologies, Georgie, for making an assumption that you were a 'he'. At first I could not remember what the G stood for. And, I blame everything I do wrong because I am so old and forgetful. I do appreciate your letting me know and in such a nice way. Some would have been a bit more upset by my error.

Maybe the symbols for male and female could be put under our usernames. :D

I remember you saying that you lost some of your clowns last September. Have you gotten any more? Tell us more about your tanks and fish. with pictures of course. :)
240 - Clowns(15), Polka-Dot(6), Sids(57), Zebra(12), Burmese(5), Red-fin(4), YoYo(5), Sumo(2), Skunk(4), Peckoltia sabaji(1), L144 Black Eye Bristlenose Pleco(3), Odessa Barb(9), Roseline Sharks(6)

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bookpage1

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Marcos Mataratzis wrote:Thanks Emma,

Just uploaded a small video showing the tank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25KnU493Cts

Nice!!! 8)

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:00 pm

I agree. Very impressive tank. Nice work :D

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:06 pm

Thanks guys!

Cycling is on. Hope I can move fishes (slowly...) in a month or so.
My 450L Loaches tank

Marcos Mataratzis

Post by Marcos Mataratzis » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:32 am

Hi everybody,

New tank recieved tonite it´s first 8 fishes. Transfer was easyiest than I could imagine. I just had to get their pipes and they came inside from one tank to another:

Also made a short video showing transfer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBCTNzxZWMI

I got a couple new wood to this tank:

Now I´ll keep an eye on amonia and nitrite levels for the next days before adding more fish. 22 remainning Clown Loaches. 8)
My 450L Loaches tank