Chicago Petsmart has horsehead loaches

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

grizzlyone

Chicago Petsmart has horsehead loaches

Post by grizzlyone » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:44 pm

Was in the local Petsmart this weekend and noticed that they had some tiny horsehead loaches for $2.79 each. I was going to wait till this weekend to pick up some...They were very small...just an inch or so long...

This is the first time I've seen them there since I've been looking in 4 years or so.

Kevin

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:48 pm

They had them at the Petsmart here too- about the same size/price. I don't have room for them or I'd have picked some up as well. Little cuties, they were!

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

grizzlyone

Post by grizzlyone » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:02 pm

very cool :)

I'm glad to see that they are getting something besides clowns in..I feel sorry for every clown I see in there cause I know that they probably will be stunted for life... :evil:

worldrallynut

Post by worldrallynut » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:07 pm

they had them here in North Jersey as well. Kubotai, clowns, khulis, horseface loaches all seem to be in stock fairly often.
Jeremy

mikev

Post by mikev » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:52 pm

Pretty common in Petlands in NY. But usually 3"+, I never saw 1"...ought to be cute.

Batch

Post by Batch » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:39 pm

Hmmmm... Might have to check petsmart on the way home...

Are they a solitary species or do they need a group to thrive??

Batch

grizzlyone

Post by grizzlyone » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:19 pm

doesn't look like it, although you need to make sure that they have a fine, round substrate (sand) since they are burrowers as they get older. I have a 10 gallon that I'm not using and I'm thinking about putting sand in there.

Kevin

grizzlyone

Post by grizzlyone » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:03 pm

okay, stopped at the local Chicago petsmart to look at the plant selection and thought I'd take a look to see if they restocked the horse face guys and I was definitely surprised....the ones that have are about 4-5 inches long and meaty looking loaches....and still for $2.99....

Kevin

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:01 pm

Batch wrote:Hmmmm... Might have to check petsmart on the way home...

Are they a solitary species or do they need a group to thrive??

Batch
I would recommend keeping them two or three at a time. They do interact with each other, although it's never violent. Just remember that they grow to around five inches long.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:29 pm

With a couple of ++'s in potential size.

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:59 pm

Petcetera here have had tiny little horsehead loaches for about 2 months now, so they seem to have a supplier. All of these large franchise places seem to get something for a while, and then they vanish. WalMart used to have upside down cats pretty much as a standard species, but now I haven't seen them for at least a year (guess who decided about 3 months ago that upside down cats would be a nice addition to replace the featherfins that I donated to a larger tank!!!). Now they have pretty nice 2-2 1/2 inch clown loaches every week (guess who was looking for clown loaches three months ago!!! - They have them with tiger barbs, and there is no price tag, so I am not sure that they even know that it is a different fish!!)