What might be sold as a spotted long-nosed Botia?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

bslindgren

What might be sold as a spotted long-nosed Botia?

Post by bslindgren » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:45 pm

My LFS just got this in. It's hiding under a log so I couldn't see it very well. I would guess around 3-4 inches long, and the head shape looked more like a Sinibotia than a long-nosed. The colour appeared silvery grey to me, but I could only see the head - essentially like a normal Botia but quite pointed. I know this is a lousy description (and it's probably unlikely that I'll manage to get a picture of it), but I was mostly curious if anyone has encountered that name before.

tattooedgemini

Post by tattooedgemini » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:39 pm

i don't know but if my LPS labeled their fish like that i'd find a new one
i am super mom!...to the kids and the fish...lol

worldrallynut

Post by worldrallynut » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:12 pm

check out the species index
Jeremy

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:00 pm

Was it anything like Syncrossus berdmorei? That would be the one that springs to mind with the desciption 'long nosed Botia' and 'spotted'. They have become more commonly available as of late and I have seen them listed as 'long nosed peppered Botia'. Obviously, overall these would be described as a brightly coloured loach, but if you only saw the head, that would have looked quite drab in comparison to the rest of the fish.

Without a photograph to go by, it is difficult. Have a browse through the species index and see if you can find a match: http://www.loaches.com/species-index

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:07 pm

Emma Turner wrote:Was it anything like Syncrossus berdmorei? That would be the one that springs to mind with the desciption 'long nosed Botia' and 'spotted'. They have become more commonly available as of late and I have seen them listed as 'long nosed peppered Botia'. Obviously, overall these would be described as a brightly coloured loach, but if you only saw the head, that would have looked quite drab in comparison to the rest of the fish.

Without a photograph to go by, it is difficult. Have a browse through the species index and see if you can find a match: http://www.loaches.com/species-index

Emma
Thats what I was thinking, or maybe a Tiger Loach...

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:26 pm

Ah, that would make sense, and also fit with the relatively large size. Thanks! I'll check it out tomorrow again if it's still there.

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:29 pm

i don't know but if my LPS labeled their fish like that i'd find a new one
If you lived where I do, you'd know that you can only go down from this LFS. If I lived in Vancouver or Toronto - agree. It's very frustrating.

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:40 pm

I managed to get a look at the entire fish today. It appears to be Syncrossus helodes (Banded tiger loach or tiger botia), so they must have made the name up by themselves. I'll try to get them to correct it so anyone buying these fish know that they need a big tank.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:31 am

You might also want them to mention on their new label that S. helodes are very aggressive and need to be kept in groups of 5 or more.

Good luck with persuading them!

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:18 pm

I actually printed out the species description from LOL and will give that to the person in charge of the fish. No doubt some unsuspecting soul will buy one or both of them and put them with with their danios or tetras.....