[deleted]

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

rossss

[deleted]

Post by rossss » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:18 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by rossss on Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gary Herring

Post by Gary Herring » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:31 am

Err.... actually i happen to have squillions of those exact same darn snails overrunning my rivertank. Cant get rid of the bloody things! So if anybody does actually want some, i can offer as many as you may want for the total price of..... ABSOLUTLY FREE!
Send me a PM of your details an i'll send em on.
Sorry rossss!!!!!
Last edited by Gary Herring on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikev

Post by mikev » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:35 am

Gary wrote:i happen to have squillions of those same darn snails overrunning my rivertank.
Hmm, I have an idea you may want to try: Prazi Pro or perhaps levamisole.

In theory it should work, snails are close enough to worms.... You can try on a single snail in a bucket first....

Gary Herring

Post by Gary Herring » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:49 am

Im a bit reluctant to use treatment to be honest, all the treatments i have seen contain copper. What is Prazi Pro and levamisole, do they contain Maracyn? If so you cant get it over here. I use traps and have gradually softened the water, this controls the numbers a bit, an i have sort of come to terms with the the fact that im never going to completly eradicate them. That is unless anyones got any ideas!

shari

Post by shari » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:51 am

You know, I can't keep these guys going in my tanks. The loaches decimate them, totally. I've even seen them running around with mts stuck to their mouths as they suck them out, too.

Time to set up a little 10g for snails, I guess. 8) Gary, if you were nearby I'd definitely take you up on your offer! :wink: the only way I get them is when I buy/get new plants. And within days, they're gone. Eggs get eaten before they hatch...but I keep botia sp., not hillies. Get a botia tank going and you'll have a ready made snail trashing troop. 8)

mikev

Post by mikev » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:54 am

No connection with Maracyn, these are anti-parasite drugs. Both are safe for vertibrates but kill invertibrates.

Any thread on skinny loach disease mentions them. Levamisole is regulated in the UK, the other one I dont know. Prazi Pro is surely available from the internet.

Gary Herring

Post by Gary Herring » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:24 am

Yeah im not sure that snails would travel too well all the way from Swindon to New Jersey! Perhaps i should limit that offer to any LOL members in the UK only. As for a Botia tank, i would absolutly love one, but my fiancee would kill me so thats probably out of the question for now.

Mikev,

Thanks, its definatly something worth looking into, ill get some info on it.

mikev

Post by mikev » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:33 am

OK, scrap levamisole, I googled and found claims that it does not affect snails. Prazil remains a possibility; it would be interesting if it works.

shari

Post by shari » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:42 am

Based on my use of it I don't think levamisole did anything to kill off snails...
but I found this regarding it's effect on brown garden snails:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... t=Abstract

It seems to have a secondary effect on the H nurones of these snails that is irreversible. But this is a garden snail, not an aquatic snail, so I'd still say it is not an effective treatment for the eradication of snails in aquaria.

rossss

Post by rossss » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:01 am

[deleted]
Last edited by rossss on Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shari

Post by shari » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:14 am

rosss,

Gary has a cold water hillstream tank...not a tropical. As far as we can tell not ALL loaches eat snails.

Good luck with your business, but ...

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:46 pm

Thing I've always wondered with these patent snail-snuffing meds is what happens to an infested tank when suddenly all the snails die off en masse?
Could get nasty.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

shari

Post by shari » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:54 pm

wwwelllll...the tank gets fouled, the filter gets fouled, the water starts to stink...and then fish start to die. Not pretty...

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:55 pm

I have found that snails are extremely fond of Bio Blend bottom feeder tablets by Marineland. If I want to make a harvest of snails, I just put one in the tank wait for the snails to cover it and remove them. They seem to be more attracted to this food than anything else I have tried.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:04 pm

Shari wrote:wwwelllll...the tank gets fouled, the filter gets fouled, the water starts to stink...and then fish start to die. Not pretty...
I'm not seein' a win-win situation here :roll:

Buy donkeys......errrr.... loaches.......Botias

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.