Botia striata hiding/stuck

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

gf225

Botia striata hiding/stuck

Post by gf225 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:46 am

Four of my Botia striata have found the smallest of holes to squeeze through in my bogwood. There's a hollow section that I didn't even know about until now.

The space isn't large enough for them to turn around.

My fear is that they can't get themselves out.

They've been in there for around 24hrs I think.

Any ideas?

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:28 am

Wait a little longer, chances are they can turn in a tighter space than you realize (hopefully). If they can get back out then feed them at night (so you can see all four definitely out) then take the decoration out and block up the holes with old filter sponge. Or replace it completely. If it seems they can't get back out, you may need to consider cutting it open very carefully. Not sure how you'd do that.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:47 am

I too, would wait a bit longer, in particular waiting to observe them under blue moon lighting or when the main tank lights are out.

Botiine loaches have the ability to paddle themselves backwards with their pectoral fins, so they may well be able to reverse out of the hole.

Hope all turns out well,

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

gf225

Post by gf225 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:37 am

Thanks for the advice, folks.

I am pleased to say that all the loaches are alive and well. I noticed them all out for the first time late last night.

I wasn't aware they were so nocturnal. My previous experience was of them being quite active and showing during the day.

It's not as if I don't have enough plant cover either -

I'm assuming I should be feeding some sinking pellets or similar after lights out then?

Barracuda518

Post by Barracuda518 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:18 am

I had a big piece of fake bogwood in my tank a while back. I had eight 4 to 5" B. Kubotia and they all disappeared over night. It turns out, they dug through the sand and through a small hole in the bottom of that bogwood. I found out because I was looking for them and picked that piece up and shook it a little and they all came swimming out.

As for feeding, I feed mine at night, but then again, I hardly ever turn the tank light on.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:04 am

Your tank is ULTRA immpressive . They will eat anytime. The real answer you are looking for is with your fish now. If they are fat in the belly you are doing great. I would not feed at night because of the reversal of all your plant life O2 output in the dark which will cause undue burden on your fish and filter with the addition of fish waste which would also be increased if you fed at night.

gf225

Post by gf225 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:45 pm

Thanks for the advice.

ULTRA impressive? This is an ok aquascape. Not my best...

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:30 pm

Stunning tank Gf225 !

Rubix

Post by Rubix » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:09 pm

if you dont think this one is that great i'd love to see some of your others 8) impressive tank, i love jungles like yours :)

wasserscheu

Post by wasserscheu » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:23 am

Tinman wrote: ... I would not feed at night because of the reversal of all your plant life O2 output in the dark which will cause undue burden on your fish ...
Me neither :!: unless you are using airetation (which I don´t). Or give it a try and watch (for couple of days) the breathing in the morning when lights switche on... (in my case, I would not dare feeding in the evening, as I have no reserve until I get the large tank, or need to use air during night, currently I only stop CO2 at night).

Experts claim highest O2 shortage occurs 4 hours after feeding...

Your plant are VERY cool 8)
Wolfram