Snail article?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Laura

Snail article?

Post by Laura » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:38 pm

Hi folks,
Since I just referred someone to Emma's article on why loaches shouldn't be put with African cichlids, I'm wondering if there is a good article out there to refer people to who comment that they want a loach simply to get rid of snails.
My typing fingers are getting tired of telling people on my local forum why getting a single clown loach for their 33 gallon tank to eat some snails is a bad idea.
Thanks in advance!

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:05 pm

Honestly that why I bought clowns years ago from reading in a fish book or magazine (the well known one :) ).
I wouldn't have bought them otherwise.

But then I saw how fun they were and loved their personality.
I know not to put them in small tank now.

I guess the clown's bio will do.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/cl ... cracanthus

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:46 am

You know? this is a really good idea. I frequent a lot of different forums and I can't believe how the perception of loaches being for eating snails and Corydoras for doing "clean-up" duties is perpetuated and such a frequent subject for discussion.

I guess it must go on our "to do" list of articles that need writing.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

newshound

Post by newshound » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:44 am

Martin Thoene wrote:You know? this is a really good idea. I frequent a lot of different forums and I can't believe how the perception of loaches being for eating snails and Corydoras for doing "clean-up" duties is perpetuated and such a frequent subject for discussion.

I guess it must go on our "to do" list of articles that need writing.

Martin.
this is a really good idea!
I can't believe how so many people think that "bottom feeders" eat crap, so to speak.
I'll say it again...Martins river tank design is great for keeping a cleaner tank. I have a sand substrate with less cross flow than you'd do for hillstreams but it keeps the gunk flowing to the intake side and then sucked into the various filters. I never have to vac. my tanks thanks to this design.
drain your pool!

Total Package

Post by Total Package » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:00 am

I do think that loaches are very good at getting rid of snails. They are probably the best fish for it.

The only thing is you still need to consider the requirements of the fish (water parameters, water volume, substrate, temperature, group size, other fish etc.). Clown loaches are the worst fish for it and are the most frequently suggested for it. This is where most people "fail" with their advice. CLs are way too big and social.

On another forum I visit, I always suggest smaller loaches for the job. Zebras, yoyos, and b. kubotai are great for it in a moderately sized tank.

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:59 pm

I was in an LFS that I hadn't visited before today. I was pleased with the set-up and spent a little time talking with the owner. She has Khulis and had two adorable litlle fat and happy clowns- I say had because I, being in need of clowns, bought them from her. She asked if I had others, and I described my existing two at nearly 4" now- she expressed approval, and said that she had refused to sell the same pair that I bought today, earlier this week, to a woman who said she'd had clowns to control her snail problem, but they'd grown too large and she had FLUSHED THEM DOWN THE FREAKING TOILET!!! Now she wanted little ones again, as the snails were back. The new LFS lady is my hero, as she showed remarkable restraint at simply refusing the sale. I think I'd have slapped her around some. :evil:

Yes, I will admit, I first bought clowns to get rid of a snail population explosion myself, but how can you not love the little guys? I bought a pleco to clean the place up- he now makes more messes than he cleans, but he's so cool...I don't know what people think or don't think, but a paragraph on the subject couldn't hurt!

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

newshound

Post by newshound » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:02 pm

ya sorry we all know that loaches kick ass at eating snails...
what we ment was that buying a loach only because you want to get rid of snails is a bad idea.
we are all on the same page on this one
snails and loaches make me think of a old skateboard term and what ex front man from Black Flag ,Henry Rollins, has tattooed on his back
"search and destroy"
drain your pool!

Cabinny00

Post by Cabinny00 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:15 pm

newshound wrote:ya sorry we all know that loaches kick ass at eating snails...
what we ment was that buying a loach only because you want to get rid of snails is a bad idea.
snails and loaches make me think of a old skateboard term and what ex front man from Black Flag ,Henry Rollins, has tattooed on his back
"search and destroy"
What I find funny is I keep trying to raise snails to make my loaches a happy treat from time to time now.

Laura

Post by Laura » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:40 pm

newshound wrote:ya sorry we all know that loaches kick ass at eating snails...
Exactly!
An article listing other options for disposing of snails, other snail/snail egg eating fish which includes a realistic description as to whether the snails are actually a problem or fulfilling a useful role in the tank would be great.
Thanks for the feedback all!

Cabinny00

Post by Cabinny00 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:48 pm

My Rainbows seem to have a taste for them from time to time, I had a infestation before I happened to get my Yoyo's and between the Rainbows and a Bala that has since passed on the tank got quite deserted of Snails really quickly!

I suspect that my Pleco decided they were tasty as well I do remember seeing him rasping one a few times.

helen nightingale

Post by helen nightingale » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:37 pm

my loaches had bad parents that forgot to tell them to eat up all their snails :roll:

i reckon its a good idea

Blue

Post by Blue » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:36 am

My apologies for reviving this thread, folks.:oops: I wanted to ask if any such article is under works. Yes, I agree with the above posters. Clown loaches happen to be one of the most frequently suggested fish to clean up snails and I do not like this one bit without giving consideration to their requirements.

I've considered adding this already in our local magazine upon the magazine's author's request to voice out my opinion regarding the loaches.:?
Passion for loaches + Passion for snails = Irony

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:55 am

We have this kind of "things we need" type of unwritten list.

In the planning are an article on exactly why it is best to keep Botiid loaches in species specific groups with a "more is better" type of angle.

Certainly, this snail control issue is a biggie that needs addressing. I frequent a few different sites and I'm all too frequently in a state of :roll: at seeing this subject arise again and again.

Another idea which you'll have seen in another thread is the beginnings of is an article dedicated to showing images of as many Botiid species as we can in juvenile and adult sizes together so that people may see what the babies they buy may grow into, plus educate them into recognizing the different species at the ever smaller sizes these fish are being exported at.

All these things take time and planning and fitting it in around "life" and other commitments, so may take us a while. We are constantly updating LOL to keep it cutting edge. Right now we have a need to edit wording in a multitude of places. Every entry of Botiine needs changing to Botiid, just as one example, due to taxanomic changes.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:07 am

Yes, as Martin has said, there's plenty of stuff in the pipeline, but fitting it around everyday life can be tricky. :wink: Sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day.

Another article which I have started, but keeps getting put on hold is Dither Fish for Loach Tanks. This will be a 'biggie' with plenty of beautiful photographs.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Rocco

Post by Rocco » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:54 am

Blue wrote:My apologies for reviving this thread, folks.:oops: I wanted to ask if any such article is under works. Yes, I agree with the above posters. Clown loaches happen to be one of the most frequently suggested fish to clean up snails and I do not like this one bit without giving consideration to their requirements.

I've considered adding this already in our local magazine upon the magazine's author's request to voice out my opinion regarding the loaches.:?
I can't wait for this article to come out in that magazine. I do try to educate hobbyists from my country but being a newbie means my voice falls on many deaf ears.