Sids and Checkerboard Cichlids

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

meglet

Sids and Checkerboard Cichlids

Post by meglet » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:13 pm

I need to move my 9 sids to a larger tank, and was wondering about compatibility with Checkerboard Cichlids (dicrossus filamentosus.) There are 2 Checkerboards in a 29 gallon tank, currently with some Neons that will be moving elsewhere. I would like to put the sids in with the Checkerboards, but I'm not sure they'd be compatible. Both species are considered "peaceful, community fish" but in my experience both can get a little bit pushy, picking on or pushing around the other fish. They are about the same level of pushy, though. They also have similar patterns, so I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

I will be asking the owner at my lfs next time I'm in there, as he has experience with both types of fish, but I was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions or experience or just wants to say "absolutely not!" about this idea.

Thanks.

Meghan.
16 Bow: 9 Chain Loaches
20 Long: 12 Panda Cories
29 Gal: 2 Checkerboard Cichlids, 9 false neons
36 bow: 12 Cherry Barbs, 3 Skunk Cories
46 Bow: 4 Congo Tetras, 1 Angel
50 Gal: 4 Ottos, 8 Pepper Cories, mixed tetras & danios

http://fish.meglet.net

grizzlyone

Post by grizzlyone » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:44 pm

I'm sure that others will chime in fast and I can guess their posting...

first take a look at the species index for the sids.

Then take a look at the conditions for the other fish. I'll bet money thats going to be a no go though....

Kevin

meglet

Post by meglet » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:10 pm

See, that's the odd thing. From everything I've seen, both fish require similar water conditions (soft, slightly acidic, Ph 6.0-7.5, temp 72-82) and yet I have a general, non-specific "this would be a bad idea" feeling. I'm hoping someone can tell me WHY it would be a bad idea, or tell me that I'm just being paranoid for no reason.

meglet

Update-it works.

Post by meglet » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:54 pm

Well, I talked to the owner at my lfs last weekend, and he said there was no reason why the Checkerboards and Sids couldn't share a tank. So I went ahead and moved the Sids, keeping their previous tank running just in case. However, the move has worked out better than I expected. Things got a little dicey when the Checkerboards spawned and the female claimed a corner to guard, but the loaches mostly just stayed out of her way. The Checkerboards weren't sure what to do about them the first few days, but everyone has settled in, and they pretty much just do their thing and ignore the others.

As a bonus, my false neons spend lots more time swimming around the tank, having the loaches out and about makes them feel much more secure. If I can get the half-circle aquarium I have my eye on I'll just leave them with the loaches and Checkerboards, since they seem to be happy there.

The-Wolf

Post by The-Wolf » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:27 am

i have kept 5 B.ropbusta with 4 pairs of checkerboards before with no problems whatsoever.
they should all get along fine IMO
Current loaches owned
Chromobotia macracanthus, Syncrossus berdmorei, Botia rostrata, Botia histronica, Yasuhikotakia modesta, Yasuhikotakia morleti.