breeding loaches question

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:59 pm

I have a gravid M. pulcher (I'm not convinced on the ID here) with three similar fish that are not gravid - males? In the river tank, they are fairly busy, chased around by the rubidipinnis loaches, but the female has a definite sheltered spot that she's camped out in. I wonder....

I just imagine loaches to be completely opportunistic if they stumble upon a batch of fertilized eggs. I can't think that my brook loaches wouldn't eventually discover every egg if it happened.

One of the same fish is definitely male and has bolder colouring than the other two. The red flash on his dorsal fin is great, and he's clearly the alpha loach among them.

As they age, the two A. rubidipinnis are getting more aggressive with each other. I presume that they are two males as I've kept them for years now. They will chase each other to the point that I worry my river tank is too small for them at 60 gallons. I just want a 200 gallon Botia tank and a 75g river tank. Is that so much to ask?
Your vantage point determines what you can see.