First fight that I actually saw!!

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Wendie

First fight that I actually saw!!

Post by Wendie » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:41 pm

I was setting up a new aquaclear filter on my small loach tank when I happened to look down and notice that my clowns were very pale. Then I realized that the buddies were fighting. The tail swipes, the bumps, and the lip locks. Amazing. This went on for about 10 minutes before they called a truce and went off exploring. I have no clue what it was about as they were on top of the cave that the largest Yo Yo uses.

I am preying that they cool it for another month when I can get the larger tank installed and pick up three more clowns and another Yo Yo.

Which brings up a question that I asked before and didn't get an answer on. Is there a problem bringing in smaller clowns and Yo Yo's in an established group?

shari

Post by shari » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:52 pm

I don't think there will be a problem adding smaller clowns or yo yos to your group, as long as you have enough room and hiding places.

just my two cents...

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:03 pm

No problemo. I've got two smaller Clowns that we adopted from someone who was returning to the US and couldn't keep them. They were accepted into the throng. Probably more difficult adding larger Clowns. Emma experienced some intial settling problems, if my memory serves me correctly, when she added the monsters to the existing tank community.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:23 pm

Thanks all. I'm really looking forward to adding to the colony. I'm currently looking around for all sorts of things to make caves from. Right now the clowns share with a Yo Yo but he's getting bigger by the minute.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:23 pm

Yeah, the smaller chaps will quickly adjust. The odd cheeky "nod" will happen but there place will be known.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:43 am

Yep, Martin remembered correctly! The two monsters we aquired last year disrupted the long-established pecking order in our tank, but adding smaller specimens will not cause you any major problems. When we've added smaller ones, they've settled themselves into the shoal very quickly and with no arguments.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:58 am

The ones I currently have are the same size and one is the dominent guy. He even tackles the Yo Yo's which are more than twice his size. When the food pellet drops into the tank it's his!! He's more tolerant of the kuhlis though. One sneaks thru every now and then.