Ideal water parameters - lets rock?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ded1

Ideal water parameters - lets rock?

Post by Ded1 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:54 am

Few days ago I managed to make water in my tank "ideal" for my clown loaches for first time. ( pH 6.8; 9dH...)

I noticed few days after I achived that, they become more active in every way. I expected they will "feel better" and act more naturally. But what I watched today for 10 minutes was really great.

Feeding time. Frozzen worms. Among five of them, I have two clowns similar size. Now this may be coincidence with ideal water parameters ( or not ), after they all got their bellies full, I noticed 2 of they totally graying out and the third one had a colour like a bee, first time I saw it on particular fish.

And fight broke out. Not among two, but three clowns. The smallest one retreated soon, but one of my botias made great improvement in recent month in size and is now third in size. She obviously decided to challenge the second one in size. ( Funny thing is, the second in size is "from" Sumatra, rest of them "Borneo" ).

10 minutes of things and fight I saw first time in my tank. Sumatra vs Borneo. It was spectacular to watch for me, since it is FIRST time it occured like this in my tank.

Now, in your oppinion did this came together with "ideal" water parameters ( before that, they were all mostly pasive for long time, now suddenly- good water, more normal behaviour ?), or is this only regular hierarchy challenge since they got similar size? They were not fighting over someting. Feeding was over, fight was over all tank ( not spot )...

BTW, Sumatra won :) And sorry, it was so "great" I didnt want to go into next room to get my camera.

I just find it interesting. I finally made water better than ever before for them and suddenly I have a boxing match to watch while I drink my tea. :) Coincidence?