Clowns , just an afterthought?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

chefkeith

Clowns , just an afterthought?

Post by chefkeith » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:39 pm

I just got done watching a video with some clowns in a large predator fish tank set-up. Most of the fish look spectacular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RrFD2ZhPb4

Is it me or do those clowns look beaten up and terribly out of place.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:47 pm

I don't think the clown loaches were an afterthought as such. Their wellbeing was not thought about at all.

It's really very saddening. :cry:
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

bslindgren

Post by bslindgren » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:55 pm

Whoever set that tank up used Darwinian logic (survival of the fittest - or perhaps meanest?). Apart from the clowns, it looks like the 1 inch per gallon rule has been converted to metric at par 1 cm per liter = 4.5 cm/gal (if you are Canadian).

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:07 pm

:evil: Probably drives a Hummer :twisted: and kicks dogs . So sad to see. I bet there are 27 hamsters in a 10 gallon in the other room. That tank looks like Thunderdome and they are obviously pleased with themselves :evil: Heck, I bet 37 people live in that apartment with one bathroom :cry:

connor

Post by connor » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:30 pm

This tank is way, way, WAY too small for the amount of (aggressive) fish in it. Not enough cover, too. And it's not only the clowns looking beaten up.

Quite a sad sight. :cry:

-Connor

PS: I'm actually suprised the clowns can survive with company like this. I guess maybe their excellent swimming skills save them from the worst.
Last edited by connor on Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'

newshound

Post by newshound » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:39 pm

I can't view the vid. but I once witnessed a tank with tigers (7 or 8 inch), eos, mods, robusta, sun, large clowns, skunks, dario, kubs, and yoyos.
The group of large clowns were so marked up by something in the tank...what ever loach it was...take your pick!
The yoyos seemed fine as well as the kubs.
It was really sad to see...about 6 months later the guy sold me some of his last fish from this tank. As he lived in another town I don't know if alot of his fish died or that he could sell them and I got the remainer.
I do know that the eos, mods and robusta I got from him are mean little buggers!
drain your pool!

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:36 pm

Tinman wrote::evil: Probably drives a Hummer :twisted: and kicks dogs . So sad to see. I bet there are 27 hamsters in a 10 gallon in the other room. That tank looks like Thunderdome and they are obviously pleased with themselves :evil: Heck, I bet 37 people live in that apartment with one bathroom :cry:
All of these are undoubtedly true, except the last...he's probably the landlord of the overcrowded apartment...he lives in a 3,000 sq ft single family home...alone, because nobody else can stand the miserable bastard.

Disgusting video. Poor clowns :(

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:17 pm

Goes to show, money don't buy tase or sense. He's set this up recently by thorwing money at it and the fish'll be shrt for this world
1/3d of the stuff in that tank i wouldn't know where to start to look up. Was that a juv. Queensland Grouper? And cold water spp as well... oops.
And the fly river turtles: CITES schedule 1 protected species.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:34 pm

This also gets us back to an earlier thread (about 18 months/2yrs ago- Martin?) re: the ecology of the Clown Loach.
Not too athletic, grows slowly, breeds late and most importantly brightly coloured. If it were a bug it would be toxic.

It would seem that CL can produce as necessary noxious and/or toxic chemicals within their slime, as reported often on this forum when fish are stressed/bagged/overheated/dead (very stinky)/trapped in decorations or otherwise uncomfortable.
And we've all seen when one CL in your school i sick, dying, injured or dead they all react, read: freek out.

In Uni we had a predaror tank with 10" arawana, 18" chinese eel, red snake-head, clown knife, 2 spp of FW barra, leaf-fish and all manor of carnivorous horrors... and 2 happy little 2" clowns tidying up. Never bothered by anything.. and never grew, i might add.
I even once watched the Aro stalk one of them and, 2" from attack (body arched etc...) broke off. Loach didn't care.

It would seem that they have to preceive a threat to put on the defense, as there are plenty or reports (incl my own) or CL victimization.

There's more to these little beauties then we give them credit for.

A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"