Single Yo-Yo?

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

gizmo

Single Yo-Yo?

Post by gizmo » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:13 pm

My wife and I are looking for an interesting fish to add to our current setup:
-55g 4'
-2 Rena XP4's
-21 4-5" African Dwarf Cichlids
-2 BN

A guy we deal with at LFS suggested the yoyo. We love the looks of these guys, but my research has shown that they prefer groups of 3 or more. We're not sure we'd want to add that many - our tank would probably be too overcrowded. Wanted to hear people's experice with having just one yoyo. Are thy unhappy without other loaches about?

Many thanks!

Rocco

Post by Rocco » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:23 pm

Yoyos are social fish and need groups to be happy. On the website (www.loaches.com) it says they should be kept in a group.

I'm not sure about dwarf african cichlids but if they are hardwater fish, then putting in yoyos isn't a good idea since they are softwater fish.

I'd suggest an alternative but I'm new to the hobby myself. Someone will come along and post better advice than mine but I'm pretty sure about the clowns in a group.

adamrf1126

Post by adamrf1126 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:32 pm

right now my dad has one yo-yo in a 38 gallon tank with 5 otocinclus catfish, and about 30 cardinal tetras.

The yo-yo seems to be doing great, is very happy, and extremely active.
There used to be two yo-yos, but the tank had a huge episode of ich, and only this one survived.

They say they are happier in groups though, so i don;t know what to tell you.
I have actually been trying very hard to convince my dad to get at least 2 more yo-yos, but he is kind of stubborn.
The one yo-yo seems to be doing great alone though.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:15 pm

One yoyo tends to bother other fish. Two yoyos will torment each other. Three (more is preferable) are boisterous but great fun. What kind of cichlids are you keeping?

Blue

Post by Blue » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:04 pm

adamrf1126 wrote:They say they are happier in groups though, so i don;t know what to tell you.
I have actually been trying very hard to convince my dad to get at least 2 more yo-yos, but he is kind of stubborn.
The one yo-yo seems to be doing great alone though.
We would prefer though that they be kept at a minimum of 3.:) Loaches are quite sociable. Perhaps, teling your dad that the more the merrier and more entertaining to watch the small group may persuade him.
Passion for loaches + Passion for snails = Irony

newbe007

my loach alone

Post by newbe007 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:02 pm

my loach is alone and seams fine he is always out. he is very soital with the other fish.
My loaches.
-2 hillstreams l -2 clown loaches
-2 tiger loaches l -1 unknown
-1 yo-yo l
-1 poka dot botia l

gizmo

Post by gizmo » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:16 pm

palaeodave wrote:One yoyo tends to bother other fish. Two yoyos will torment each other. Three (more is preferable) are boisterous but great fun. What kind of cichlids are you keeping?
Cichlids I have are acei, yellows, and mainganos

zmo63

Post by zmo63 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:07 pm

I had a single yoyo loach, as suggested by my LFS, and it was a nightmare - he was great fun to watch, but antagonized the other fish mercilessly, and it was pretty obvious he wasn't happy. That's what brought me to this community in the first place, and because I didn't have the space to get more than one, I had to make the tough decision to give him up.

I'm glad you're doing the research beforehand - much better plan!

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:23 am

Hi gizmo,

Dave sums it up perfectly here:
palaeodave wrote:One yoyo tends to bother other fish. Two yoyos will torment each other. Three (more is preferable) are boisterous but great fun.
These are social fish which build a natural hierarchy within a group. Despite what the store have said, keeping one alone is simply cruel, and in Yoyos does often lead to aggression problems as the fish mature. A group of at least 3 is needed, but 5 will be better. Have a read here of their general requirements: http://www.loaches.com/articles/an-intr ... ping-botia They will not be suitable for keeping with your Malawi cichlids though, another article which may be of interest is here: http://www.loaches.com/articles/why-loa ... i-cichlids. So you need to decide whether you want to keep one or the other. :wink:

Hope this helps,
Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

mikev

Post by mikev » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:25 am

palaeodave wrote:One yoyo tends to bother other fish. Two yoyos will torment each other. Three (more is preferable) are boisterous but great fun.
About a year ago I decided to check this, by moving my Yoyo's into new tank one by one with intervals long enough for the behavior to stabilize.

Two was the worst. On the count of three I got two loaches tormenting each other and the third (slightly smaller and ignored) hiding from them in the corner...not much better than two. Four was indeed stable.
[Other people did find three to work and I saw it working myself too ... but this is ime pretty risky.]

Batch

Post by Batch » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:45 pm

Hey,
One yo-yo will be aggressive and/or hide most of the time. A group will be out all the time to perform their dance routines for you. :P
Two was the worst. On the count of three I got two loaches tormenting each other and the third (slightly smaller and ignored) hiding from them in the corner...not much better than two.
I had a similair experience with my Yo-yos. By twos and threes I increased it to nine.

Batch

mikev

Post by mikev » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:04 pm

Currently 6 here in total. NO MORE.

Hey, it would be interesting to see photos of your pack.

Cabinny00

My two bits

Post by Cabinny00 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:45 pm

After listening to Emma and a few of the others I would say no fewer then 5, I have three currently ( still holding out hope the one will suddenly surface). My group is the opposite of what someone posted I have two very nearly 3 inches and one at 3.5 and he is king! I am currently in a financial bind getting married and all so I cannot afford to increase just yet but when I can I will be getting two more. From what I have seen when I did have four they were much more active.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:04 pm

Batch wrote:Hey,
One yo-yo will be aggressive and/or hide most of the time. A group will be out all the time to perform their dance routines for you. :P
Two was the worst. On the count of three I got two loaches tormenting each other and the third (slightly smaller and ignored) hiding from them in the corner...not much better than two.
I had a similair experience with my Yo-yos. By twos and threes I increased it to nine.

Batch
I'm with Mike, I want to see 9 yoyos doing their thing! I've got five.

Cabinny00

Ordered Chaos!!

Post by Cabinny00 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:59 pm

9 in a tank would be thus, and the ordered is only from it taking place in such a small area!!!