Two Hundred Kilos Per Day And Sold In Tesco

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:17 am

I like that golden brown look. Once my bogwood stops leaching I miss it. :wink:
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Finnatic

Botia Loach Meat 200kg per day?

Post by Finnatic » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:45 am

Yellowfin, you are kidding me - how many botia loach (which one) is found in such abundance in Thailand to yield such commercially processed FRESH water loach meat?
Snake head, cat fish, giant gourami, tilapia, tin foil barbs, marble goby, etc. you may have in Thailand as food fish; but botia loach fish?
Do you know how many 14 inch clown loach you have to fillet to yield 200kg per day and on an on-going commercial basis?

a
Finnatic
Swim with sharks and play with dolphins (and mermaids when they come around)

ckk125

Post by ckk125 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:56 am

Large Clown loaches are eaten when they are caught.

Only a few will be traded as aquarium fish.

Normal thing to do. Barramundi, Marble goby, snakeheads, catfish, tilapia and as long as it moves, it will be eaten. :D
Chen

Finnatic

Post by Finnatic » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:10 am

Chen,

Clown Loaches are NOT found in Thailand. Even in Indonesia it is not a regular food fish - catching them for export for the aquarium trade is the main thing. Even IF they are found in Thailand, you are paying a VERY good price for a live fish, would they grind them up to fish cakes? How much do they sell a packet for? In my years of searching for fishes among aquarium fish shops in Chattujak market in Bangkok, I have only seen one 14 inch Clown Loach and it was going for Bahts 2,500 - 10 years ago!

http://www.bollmoraakvarieklubb.org/art ... 0loach.htm

In any case, I am most curious what/which Botia Loach is found in such abundance in Thailand to spur a 200kg per day commercial fish meat processing industry?
Finnatic
Swim with sharks and play with dolphins (and mermaids when they come around)

andre

Post by andre » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:22 am

Rocco wrote:
Over here, when it rains, the rivers flood with run off soil and become brown. Is it possible that this is breeding time for the fish? If not, what if after, when the water clears up?

Would it be possible to attempt to cloud one's tank with runoff soil and then clean it up and see what happens?

I asked myself the same question when I was on the river below in Malaysia:
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd13 ... ure025.jpg

According to locals many loaches species live in the river (I can only assume hillstream). Originally I was meant to climb a mountain nearby (Mt. Kinabalu) and since you go across many rivers and streams I was keen to look for some fauna. Unfortunately due to torrential rain the trip was cancelled.

But you know what, if you cannot see loaches you can still ride above them :wink:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd13 ... ure051.jpg

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:25 pm

WOW!
That's some churning water! Anyone go over the side? 8)
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

andre

Post by andre » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:13 pm

shari2 wrote:WOW!
That's some churning water! Anyone go over the side? 8)
A couple of rafts did capsize but I think that the picture looks more dramatic than it actually was (as a matter of interest I’m the first on the right, look for the one who’s having a cardiac failure)

Yet it is hard to believe that fish can in fact thrive in that river.

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:44 am

I sure would like to try the wild botias prepared for eating, (I know gross for some of you) as long as they are not my or anyone's pet.
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:56 am

Andre, thats some serious turrent flowing waters.

I wonder whats the GPH there :D

I think that during these type of floods the clowns do a lot their shadowing which possibly lead up to their breeding behaviors shortly afterwards.
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

andre

Post by andre » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:51 pm

Vancmann wrote:Andre, thats some serious turrent flowing waters.

I wonder whats the GPH there :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: I think it is only second to killforfood's river tank!

mistergreen

Post by mistergreen » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:06 pm

I'm surprised there's still fish in the rivers of asia. I just saw a little documentary on the mekong river in Vietnam. Wow, that's one big river. Fishermen are catching almost nothing. They caught 3 2 inch long fishes the whole day. And they kept those. There's no regulation what so ever.

Rocco

Post by Rocco » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:49 pm

mistergreen wrote:I'm surprised there's still fish in the rivers of asia. I just saw a little documentary on the mekong river in Vietnam. Wow, that's one big river. Fishermen are catching almost nothing. They caught 3 2 inch long fishes the whole day. And they kept those. There's no regulation what so ever.
Not all rivers are overfished... just the big ones I imagine.

The problem is that pollution gets the rest.

And then there are these fishermen that electrocute the water or use cyanide... bastards all of them.

andre

Post by andre » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:58 am

Rocco wrote: And then there are these fishermen that electrocute the water or use cyanide... bastards all of them.
Hi Rocco, I can see your passionate Italian blood surfacing here :wink:

But you are right, in my experience most of Borneo and the Amazons are still very difficult to access and not badly exploited. In fact it is believed that many species of fish have yet to be discovered. Hopefully humans won't be so stupid to destroy such an asset.