Two Hundred Kilos Per Day And Sold In Tesco

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

YellowFinned

Two Hundred Kilos Per Day And Sold In Tesco

Post by YellowFinned » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:07 am

I know you are not going to like this. I have never tried it.

Product Detail
Background
Seafood is abundant in ... Botia loach fish has tough flesh. The company, therefore, grilsl and seasons it. Then, the fish was ground to make it easy to eat.
Manufacturing Procedures
Select fresh fish. Slice fish and mix with ingredients. Sun dry them. Grill fish and grind them before packaging.
Product Strengths
The company's shredded botia loach fish is tasty and smells pleasant with golden color.
Productivity
200 kg/day
Price
100 baht/200 gram carton
Point of Sale
- - Maha Chai Souvenir Shop in Thawiwong Industry Outlet, Tesco Lotus, Big C, TOP Supermarket, Carrefour, fresh markets.

http://www.otop5star.com/pic_large01.ph ... =1&lang=en
http://www.otop5star.com/pic_large01.ph ... =2&lang=en
http://www.otop5star.com/pic_large01.ph ... =3&lang=en

Rocco

Post by Rocco » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:22 am

that is HORRIBLE!

ckk125

Post by ckk125 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:45 am

what is the problem?

Horrible?why?
Chen

andre

Post by andre » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:58 am

Last February I was in Borneo and I saw Gourami's sold for food at the market :(

I supposed that if we were keeping tunas or salmons as pets we would never go to a sushi bar.

Whitey_MacLeod

Post by Whitey_MacLeod » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:01 am

Sounds tasty :lol:
Seriously though, I eat fish, meat, whatever, so I've got no problem with people eating an animal just beacause I happen to keep some as pets. Just as long as nobody tries eating my fish.
Fast and bulbous!

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:45 am

It's a natural food product for some Asian folks. We all have our own, somewhere..

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:14 pm

Yes, we know they are a food fish in parts of Asia, but I still shielded my computer screen from Marge & co! :lol:

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:37 pm

Food is food. What is food for one person is a pet for another. No biggie. As long as no one tells me what I have to eat, I have no problems with what someone else eats.

...as long as they aren't taking my fish, my cat, my dog, or whatever to turn into their food!
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

sophie

Post by sophie » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:30 pm

no worse than eating chickens.
lambs
deer
rabbit
trout
undsoweiter
sophie.
there is no them
there is only us

http://www.duckduckgoosestuff.co.uk

Rocco

Post by Rocco » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:07 pm

Sorry for the knee-jerk reaction. A voice inside me was saying that these fish were taken from the wild, and in those quantities, we may not have loaches in our rivers for long.

And then the thought of us aquarists being no different makes me wonder and rationalize. I think its important for us to study ways to take care of this fish and to find ways to eventually breed them because the way I see it, there won't be too many in the wild at the rate we're polluting our planet.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:15 pm

So these chaps are for aquatic trade as well as food trade...

If only we knew what conditions these like to breed in, then we would not only supply the aquatic trade.....

Blue

Post by Blue » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:16 am

You know I never understood myself why I was in shock when someone showed me a package of Botia striata refrigerated and ready for human consumption.:lol:
Passion for loaches + Passion for snails = Irony

Rocco

Post by Rocco » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:05 am

Graeme Robson wrote:So these chaps are for aquatic trade as well as food trade...

If only we knew what conditions these like to breed in, then we would not only supply the aquatic trade.....
I have my own speculations on that...

Over here, when it rains, the rivers flood with run off soil and become brown. Is it possible that this is breeding time for the fish? If not, what if after, when the water clears up?

Would it be possible to attempt to cloud one's tank with runoff soil and then clean it up and see what happens?

A lot of work, I know, but what if it pays off and you suddenly find yourself with loach eggs?

Theres another what if, what if the fish die?

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:20 am

That's one of the risks of experimentation. And a good reason to have several groups. Experiments do go awry, sometimes.
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:03 am

I don't know if I could eat loaches. Maybe if I cook them first and they smell good.

About breeding, maybe loaches are able to lay eggs almost all year round, but the eggs won't develop unless it's flooding. That's when the tannins are increased from the run-off of the peat forest floors. The acid from the tannins allows the eggs to develop; it stripes the slime off the eggs, so that they can absorb oxygen better. Many commercial fish farmers use tannic acid for the same purpose.

How many loach keepers have tanks that are heavy in tannins with a dark tea color? On top of that have mature loaches.