Speculation on Skunk Loaches and community tanks.

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Rocco

Speculation on Skunk Loaches and community tanks.

Post by Rocco » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:43 am

As with different animals, it is sometimes the male that is aggressive and sometimes the female. This got me thinking and I have a few questions.

Which sex of loaches is more aggressive?

Now, there are some that have success with Skunk loaches in a community tank and some who have had disastrous results. I myself am having no trouble with the skunks so far.

Could the trick be in the ratio of male to female skunks?

I will continue to observe my hooligans and their interactions with their tank mates. So far, they even share the same crevices and sleep together.

ps. After treating my first tank with Levamisole, I decided to do some re-aquascaping. I'll post pictures soon :)

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:22 pm

Can you tell the difference between male and female skunks?
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Rocco

Post by Rocco » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:08 pm

I can't. I was just speculating that I may have more of the less aggressive sex in my tank, if that even makes sense.

Emma Turner

Post by Emma Turner » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:16 pm

How big are your 'hooligans', Rocco? Aggression often heightens with age/maturity.

Emma
East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:26 pm

Which other occupants do you have in your community set-up Rocco?

I keep my 10 Yasuhikotakia morleti in with other Yasuhikotakia species and various Syncrossus species. I know it's hard to judge the aggression levels with mine sharing the same environment with other larger aggressive species but these little chaps sure can hold there own in this aquarium.

The only way i assume the sex differences is when the female starts showing off a larger stomach area. I also don't really see any different aggression levels from either sex's, but they are as bad as each other in my observations. One of my females below.

Blue

Post by Blue » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:51 pm

I never had my luck mixing the skunks well.:lol: Last time, I had them in with my other loaches I found my two yoyos dead with bite marks.:cry:
Passion for loaches + Passion for snails = Irony

Vancmann

Post by Vancmann » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:13 pm

I uses to have skunks and for their size, they are quite vicisous. I once had a large 150G tank with about 13 different species of loaches. The skunks did not do so well with the introduction of the eos's and the males soon died. One female remainded until she died from being swollen with eggs. My skunks never messed with my clowns which were much bigger.
120 gallon planted aquaponic tank with 10 clown loachs, first one since 1994, 1 modesta and 3 striadas.

Rocco

Post by Rocco » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:24 pm

My skunks are still small. around 1.5" to 2"

They are currently kept with
6 3 - 4" clown loaches
3 3" kubotai
7 fully matured glow light tetras
2 6 - 8" Black ghost knifefish
a siamese algae eater and a bristlenose pleco.

I see them snuggling with the Kubs and Clowns.