Kuhli Loach Dance

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Wendie

Kuhli Loach Dance

Post by Wendie » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:19 pm

The new arrivals are so busy doing their loach dance that they have actually moved the sand along the side of the tank.

mamaschild

Post by mamaschild » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:23 pm

They look wonderful, Wendie.....Nice and chubby :D

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:36 pm

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. They were in the store for 10 days before he shipped them and they came thru in good shape with only one or two stressing out. So far 7 are very active - the others are inside the big rock but these show no signs of wanting to go into the rock until you make some sort of vibration and then they are gone.

No signs of exploring... just doing the dance... all day long. There's a storm coming thru which might have something to do with it. Some slight eating but they might not be used to tablets yet.

Mad Duff

Post by Mad Duff » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:24 pm

They look lovely Wendie, I am hoping to get some in the next couple of weeks. The shop has had them in for just over a week now so I think they should be ok.

I hope mine settle in as well as yours seem to have :)

Mark

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:02 pm

What confuses me is the loaches are drawn to the light. There are no lights on the tank itself. During the day, sunlight pours into the tank and the loaches do their dance in the corner nearest the window. When it's dark, they move to the opposite corner which is nearest to the lamp and gets the most light.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:38 pm

Sunlight pours into the tank? Watch that! There should be no direct sunlight as it can screw up temperature changes and cause a burst of algae like you've never seen it.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:01 am

It comes in for about an hour at the most in the early morning so it's not really hot at that point and is only at this time of the year when the leaves are not on the trees. Algae for some reason does not seem to be a problem in the two tanks in that area. I have a ton of java moss, ricci and something else in there and my one established kuhli tank doesn't have a lick of algae. It gets sunlight every morning for about 30 minutes. Now the tanks in the center of the room do not get any direct light and do have an algae problem.

I've also had that tank in that area several times for breeding purposes and have not had a problem with algae or temperature swings as I did a constant monitoring with the fry.

ClownMob

Post by ClownMob » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:16 am

congrats on the new loaches, good new they made the trip well and are dancin. :D

great pic, and best of luck with your new tribe. :wink:
ImageImage
75g O'clown environment

gulogulo

Post by gulogulo » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:52 am

Congrats, good looking fish. I have been noticing better quality Pangios in the stores lately. I have seen lower die off even in large shipments. Hopefully this is a trend that will continue. 8)
Current loach residents- 14 Pangio semicincta, 2 P. doriae, 4 P. myersi, 1 P. shelfordi, 5 P. anguilaris, 6 P. oblonga, 8 P. cuneovirgata 5 Chromobotia macracantha, 3 Gastromyzon ctenocephalus, 3 Gastromyzon species unknown

poeticpyro

Post by poeticpyro » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:54 pm

where do you all find pangios? i can only find the black ones and albino... most places around here can't order them... i'm in GA
many tanks...

got to love my fat little wobbly wigglies...

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:12 pm

they are sooooooooo cute.they look like they act like my weather loach swimming all over the tank

david