khuli loach

The forum for the very best information on loaches of all types. Come learn from our membership's vast experience!

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

daspricey

khuli loach

Post by daspricey » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:43 am

hello :D
my 17g tank is sub-tropical but i really like khuli loaches
just a couple of questions
1. can i have 2 black kuhli loaches and 3 kuhli loaches in a 10g tank?
2. will the two species group(shoal)?
3. or would they be alright at a temp of 22*c in my sub-tropical tank?
4. any other info
thanks for any help :D

david

poeticpyro

Post by poeticpyro » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:50 pm

they would be okay together, however they wouldn't shoal... i'd rather you add more normal kuhlis... just because like any other loach, the more the merrier... i have 7 black khulis in a 20 gallon... from what i understand you can count them as really 1.5" of fish... instead of 3"... that's about all of the information i have... if i come across anymore i'll post another reply.
many tanks...

got to love my fat little wobbly wigglies...

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:08 pm

they are so small when i last saw them at my lfs.they are soooo cute
like any other loach, the more the merrier
i have weather loach in my 17g tank(i'm getting a much bigger tank, don't worry).when i get this bigger tank should i get more.the weather loach seems happy at the mo swimming up and down the glass. :D
Last edited by daspricey on Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

gulogulo

Post by gulogulo » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:14 pm

Mixing species doesn't seem to be a problem for Pangio species. They will all hang together. If you get 'regular' kuhlies you may get several different species anyway as they are often mixed. I agree that the more the merrier but would keep at least 3 with 6 to 8 being better. More than that would be pushing the tank capacity for a 10g imo. Pangios are definitely fun fish and easy to keep once the stress of shipping is survived.
Good luck!
Current loach residents- 14 Pangio semicincta, 2 P. doriae, 4 P. myersi, 1 P. shelfordi, 5 P. anguilaris, 6 P. oblonga, 8 P. cuneovirgata 5 Chromobotia macracantha, 3 Gastromyzon ctenocephalus, 3 Gastromyzon species unknown

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:55 pm

More than that would be pushing the tank capacity for a 10g
i have read that they could go in a 10g tank. how many should i get then.
i was getting them from my lfs instead of shipping them from diff countries.

gulogulo

Post by gulogulo » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:14 pm

I would get 6 but I tend to go light on stocking levels, you could probably get 8 but don't put anything else in the tank. I have a 25 that am am hoping to get my Pangio oblonga (black kuhlis) to spawn in. I have 6 right now and will probably add 2 to 4 more.
Shipping stress takes its toll mostly in the store but can also be a factor just moving them from the store to your home. I would let them settle in at the store for a week before purchasing to see how they recover from shipping. 8)
Current loach residents- 14 Pangio semicincta, 2 P. doriae, 4 P. myersi, 1 P. shelfordi, 5 P. anguilaris, 6 P. oblonga, 8 P. cuneovirgata 5 Chromobotia macracantha, 3 Gastromyzon ctenocephalus, 3 Gastromyzon species unknown

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:48 pm

Des... Kuhlis are tropical, not sub-tropical. They certainly are cute, but they're not the right fish for your setup, IMO.

To answer your questions -

1. No. 10 gallons is too small for kuhlis and any loach. I keep mine in a 30, and it's still too small. They wander and set up their own territories. 10 gallons is not big enough.

2. Different species of kuhlis can be kept together, but they tend not to swim as one. Kuhlis represent a wide range of species collected from scattered sites. One is not the other in terms of group dynamic.

3. 22C is down around 72F. This is not sufficient for keeping kuhlis, IMO. It is certainly not ideal. These fish are found in slow moving water - sometimes black water. Again, these are not the right fish to choose.

4. Start at the website of field collector, Antti Vuorela.
http://www.kolumbus.fi/vuorela.antti/indexenglish.htm
His amazing contribution is to show photos of the environments in which some kuhlis are found.

I have a great reverence for loaches, and for kuhlis in particular. They are tough fish, but they should be given an environment that suits their needs, and not the other way round. My rant, my bad.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:46 am

ok
i wont get the 10g tank for them.
so even 30g is to small because i was going to convert my 17g into tropical and put my sub-tropicals in the bigger tank i'm getting.
thats a great website, it's great to see fish in there natural habitat.
thanks. :D
p.s.
good luck with spawning them gulogulo. i've heard they are very hard to get them to spawn.

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:45 am

I have three blacks and three regular kuhlis in a 10 gallon tank and they seem to be very happy. They look the picture of health and I marvel at the texture of the skin of the black kuhlis. It looks like the most beautiful smooth suede. Absolutely beautiful coloration on these guys.

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:38 am

i'm torn :roll:. one saying no and one saying yes.
but i've been on another forum and one has said i can have 5 khuli loaches and a betta or other options.
i might get the khulis and 3 pencilfish.
and wendie i love your khuli loach pictures

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:47 am

LOL it just means the bigger the tank, the better. As with almost any fish, the more space you give them the better. I just don't have the room for a bigger tank so I just have that tank for the 6 loaches. They have tripled in size since they came 6 months ago.

When I compare them with the blacks in the larger tank, these look so much more colorful and the texture of the skin is just beautiful. The others lack that. It could be because the share a tank with others and although they have a ton of hiding places it's not like the kuhli tank with hiding spots and a huge blanket of java moss to hang in.

I might add that I do use an Indian Almond Leaf in the kuhli tank which might make a difference.

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:18 am

As with almost any fish, the more space you give them the better.
they will be going in my 17g tank when the other go in there new home(still looking for one :roll:).

I might add that I do use an Indian Almond Leaf in the kuhli tank which might make a difference.
looks healthy for the tank. and it makes/helps blackwater. what does the water look like. is it still the same visably wise.

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:37 am

That picture is from a tank with the leaf in it. I leave them in about three weeks and then change them. After about 4 days it floats to the bottom and they play around, under and on top of it.

You can see from the photo that the water is clear. It just has a slight tea colored tint to it. Sort of a brown/orange tint but very light. Just enough to see that the water is colored.

What is the footprint of the 17 gallon? I'm looking into a breeder 30 or 40 now.

daspricey

Post by daspricey » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:54 am

30(L) 15(H) 12(W)
if thats what you mean
how many leaves should i put in?

Wendie

Post by Wendie » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:03 pm

I use 1 for a 10 gallon so probably 2 or 3 for a larger tank.