Fine Food Recipes!

This forum is for all non-fish-related subjects and is un-moderated. Be warned that at times, opinions expressed within are often strongly held and defended. Some may find certain views and language offensive. The opinions expressed are those of the posters and do not represent the opinions of the moderation team or the site owner.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:40 pm

I made Koresht Ghaimeh last night for the first time, basically using an online recipe - thankfully Persian recipes abound.

Pick through 1 cup of dry split peas, simmer them for 20 minutes in 1 1/2 cups of water, rinse under tepid water and drain. Set aside.

Sautee two onions, then add your cubed (1" or 2cm cube) lean meat (beef is fine in the recipe - and lamb loses much of its flavour), til the meat is browned....

Add 2 Tbsp tomato paste, 3 or 4 dried limes, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp salt, and pepper to taste. Mix this about and then add 1 1/2 cups of water. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the split peas, and continue to simmer for 30 minutes, or until they're just tender. If you can't find dried limes, add the juice of 1/2 lime just before serving and stir it in.

Slap it on some Persian rise (with tadigh), sprinkle fried shoe-string potatoes on top (or use "Hickory Sticks"). Serve with optional sumac and some pickled vegetables.

For traditional Persian rice:

Rinse good quality basmati in six changes of water - really get all the starch off.

Soak this in ample cold water (three inches more water than rice deep) with 1/2 Tbsp of sea salt. Let the rice soak for two hours.

Drain the rice in a sieve, and using the same pot, bring several cups of water to a full boil. Add 1 tsp of sea salt. When the water is very hot, add the rice and cook for 2 minutes, then drain it again through the sieve. Run tepid water over it to stop it cooking.

Rinse out the pot and dry it briefly. Add 1 Tbsp water and 1 Tbsp butter, and put it back over the heat. Carefully separate the bottom half of a piece of pita bread. Discard the top - you want a thin circle of bread. Put this down into the butter/water mixture and carefully pile the rice on top.

Wrap the pot lid in a tea towel, and cover the rice until steam builds up, then switch the heat to low and let it cook for 30 minutes. Serve the rice into bowls and plunge the pot into cold water. The pita bread layer should come unstuck - this is the tadigh. Break it into portions so that each guest gets a bit of it. It's crunchy and buttery, and delicious.

Serious Persian cooks will insist on adding some saffron-soaked rice to the top of the dish for colour and a hint of saffron flavour.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:05 pm

Thai Chicken with Cashews & Chiles

There's a local Thai restaurant chain here that makes fairly impressive food. Some independent Thai places make slop, so as in all things, I'm a bit fussy. I've been trying to master what I think is the local chain's best dish. Tonight I got very, very close, and it's easy:

Have everything prepared beside your wok, and have some rice timed to be ready at the same time. Make sure none of the ingredients are more than 1/2" (1cm) thick - not julienned, but sliced thinly.

6 garlic cloves, minced
2 chicken breasts, sliced
1 yellow pepper, sliced
1 small onion, sliced into thin wedges
4 celery sticks, cut on the diagonal
1 cup of cashews
6 bird chiles, stems removed
paper towel

Sauce:
1 Tbsp fish sauce
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
4 Tbsp chicken stock
1/2 tsp sugar

Make the sauce well in advance.

Once the rice is done, heat the wok over high heat. When it's very hot, add 2 Tbsp peanut oil. Toss in the cashews and chiles, and stir fry - keep them moving until the cashews have browned slightly. Don't let them burn. Remove the cashews and chiles to drain on paper towel.

Into the same hot oil, add the garlic, and toss to cover it. Add the chicken slices, and stir fry for about 3 minutes - until all the pieces are well coloured on the outside.

Add the celery to the wok and stir it in for 30 seconds. Then add the onion, bell pepper, and sauce. Stir fry until the onion is slightly translucent - don't let the veg go soft.

Add the fried cashews and chiles back, and stir fry for another 30 seconds, until the cashews are heated through.

Pour this beside (not over) the rice, and give the stir fried items a good grind of fresh black pepper. Serve immediately, and warn guests not to eat the chiles.

Serves 3.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Tue May 18, 2010 9:07 pm

What? No spam in that recipe?

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Wed May 19, 2010 12:06 pm

Innovative uses for spam!

Ken

Post by Ken » Fri May 21, 2010 7:26 pm

Mark, I made your Thai Chicken with Cashews & Chiles for company last night and everyone was very happy with it.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri May 21, 2010 9:37 pm

Outstanding!

Seb1

Re: Fine Food Recipes!

Post by Seb1 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:20 am

The Thai Chicken with Cashews looks delicious! If its really that good i might try it out myself! I'm a lover for Thai food. especially spicey food! The Tom Kah Gai soup is one of my all time favorites! Whereby you could also make it with shrimp but then its called Tom Yum Goong.

Ingredients:
8 oz boneless and skinless chicken (breast or thighs, cut into strips)
20 canned straw mushrooms
1 1/2 cup coconut milk
1 cup water
1 stalk lemongrass (cut into 3-inch lengths and pounded)
6 kaffir lime leaves (lightly bruised to release the flavor)
6 slices galangal
8 bird’s eye chilies (lightly pounded)
3 tablespoon fish sauce
2 1/2 tablespoon lime juice (or to taste)
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro

Method:

Add coconut milk, water, lemongrass, galangal, chilies, kaffir lime leaves into a pot and bring it to boil. Add straw mushrooms and chicken and boil it on medium heat for a few minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Add lime juice and fish sauce to taste. Add chopped cilantro before serving.

Enjoy! :)

Tikobird

Post by Tikobird » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:44 am

Mark in Vancouver wrote:
Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:40 pm
This seems necessary.

By all means, add to this sticky.
I don't understand why all these non-related topics like recipes are being posted on a website about loaches. Do you have any loaches or maybe you need a cooking website to comment on? I don't get it.

Perplexed

AdamZMA

Post by AdamZMA » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:24 pm

Here one of my favourites:
Pecan Dijon Catfish

- Thaw if frozen and pat dry.

- Rub some dijon mustard on top of the fish, covering all over.

- Mix dry bread crumbs and finely chopped pecans 1:1, usually 1/2C of each is enough to top several decent sized fillets.

- Press dijon coated top of fillets into dry mix to coat.

- Bake on parchment or foil lined pan on 475 degrees until done.

stellajames942

Post by stellajames942 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:13 am

All recipe seems tasty.

mancini

Post by mancini » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:21 am

I love watermelon and I made watermelon smoothie according to my own recipe. I hope watermelon lovers will love it. You need A Watermelon, A yogurt, Lime, Salt, ice cubes or water for this. Take the appropriate amount of ingredients and blend them. I took half of the watermelon, one cup of yogurt, 125 ml ice water. Lime and salt according to taste. It's suitable for summer time and very delicious

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:18 pm

I find any of the "Repashy foods excellent and you can add whatever you fancy, quick & easy as well!! Too many ingredients in the other recipes I would have to spend an hour in Sainsbury's just for a fish "treat" :shock: I love my fish but not that much........................!! :roll:

Val
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.

carl37

Post by carl37 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:00 am

I am really enjoying this thread! :D

Phil0110

Post by Phil0110 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:49 am

Chorizo & mozzarella gnocchi bake

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion , finely chopped
2 garlic cloves , crushed
120g chorizo , diced
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1 tsp caster sugar
600g fresh gnocchi
125g mozzarella ball, cut into chunks
small bunch of basil , torn
green salad , to serve

STEP 1
Heat the oil in a medium pan over a medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic for 8-10 mins until soft. Add the chorizo and fry for 5 mins more. Tip in the tomatoes and sugar, and season. Bring to a simmer, then add the gnocchi and cook for 8 mins, stirring often, until soft. Heat the grill to high.

STEP 2
Stir ¾ of the mozzarella and most of the basil through the gnocchi. Divide the mixture between six ovenproof ramekins, or put in one baking dish. Top with the remaining mozzarella, then grill for 3 mins, or until the cheese is melted and golden. Season, scatter over the remaining basil and serve with green salad.

martinHot

Post by martinHot » Wed May 17, 2023 5:51 pm

Phil0110 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:49 am
Chorizo & mozzarella gnocchi bake

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion , finely chopped
2 garlic cloves , crushed
120g chorizo , diced
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1 tsp caster sugar
600g fresh gnocchi
125g mozzarella ball, cut into chunks
small bunch of basil , torn
green salad , to serve

STEP 1
Heat the oil in a medium pan over a medium heat. Fry the best fat burner for men onion and garlic for 8-10 mins until soft. Add the chorizo and fry for 5 mins more. Tip in the tomatoes and sugar, and season. Bring to a simmer, then add the gnocchi and cook for 8 mins, stirring often, until soft. Heat the grill to high.

STEP 2
Stir ¾ of the mozzarella and most of the basil through the gnocchi. Divide the mixture between six ovenproof ramekins, or put in one baking dish. Top with the remaining mozzarella, then grill for 3 mins, or until the cheese is melted and golden. Season, scatter over the remaining basil and serve with green salad.
This recipe seems very much delicious. I will try it for sure!