What DVDs should I rent?

This forum is for all non-fish-related subjects and is un-moderated. Be warned that at times, opinions expressed within are often strongly held and defended. Some may find certain views and language offensive. The opinions expressed are those of the posters and do not represent the opinions of the moderation team or the site owner.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:09 pm

I'm just about to settle down and watch the first disc of my newly delivered Planet Earth series. I wonder how Momfish got all the way through to the end of that... Maybe her new environmentalism is based on not having bothered with the extra material?
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:23 pm

Sure, flaunt your purchases on the forum. Not everyone can afford that series you know. You'd better have rented it dude.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:37 am

Yeah - my abundant wealth overfloweth... I made $34.00 today at work, before taxes. But I've got my Radiohead and my Attenbugger, so I'm set for a bit. I suspect my credit card will eventually eat itself to death.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:46 pm

I finally saw 28 Weeks Later... Meh... It has nothing on the first one, so goes the first law of horror film sequels. Some serious writing flaws, but reasonably tense. I presume they're working on the next one... :roll:

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:04 pm

Mark in Vancouver wrote:I finally saw 28 Weeks Later... Meh... It has nothing on the first one, so goes the first law of horror film sequels. Some serious writing flaws, but reasonably tense. I presume they're working on the next one... :roll:
That's too bad. I really enjoyed 28 Days and was hoping 28 Weeks would also be good.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:21 pm

btw Mark, I watched Cube 2 & Cube Zero. Both good IMO though not as good as the original.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:04 pm

Yes, Cube 2 was bearable - I didn't bother with the third one.

And Ken, 28 Weeks is worth a viewing - the special effects have some merits. There were just two or three weak points in the overall story. I didn't mean to say that I didn't enjoy it - just not as good as the first one. Of course. There is some minor (subtle and lowbrow) commentary on US imperialism and Iraq, but that's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Graeme Robson

Post by Graeme Robson » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:45 am

I dunno how, but i've just received a copy of Stardust. :wink:

Cool film! Now i'm off to Rule the world....

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:05 pm

Mark in Vancouver wrote:And Ken, 28 Weeks is worth a viewing - the special effects have some merits. There were just two or three weak points in the overall story. I didn't mean to say that I didn't enjoy it - just not as good as the first one. Of course. There is some minor (subtle and lowbrow) commentary on US imperialism and Iraq, but that's like shooting fish in a barrel.
Watched it last night and yes, there were some weak points and an unnecessary over-the-top scene or 2, but overall it was better than I expected it to be.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:12 pm

All that security - about fifty secure doors - but no one watching, and no cameras trained on the quarantine patient... Pffft.

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:26 pm

And the helicoptor blender scene really wasn't necessary.

James Beard

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:50 pm

Tonight is video night - a friend's coming over to enjoy the highly perverse double bill of The Devils and El Topo.

Much carnage and sacrilege! I'm looking forward to this. I haven't seen either film in years.

shari2

Post by shari2 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:40 am

I watched the movie Immortal last night.

Weird and very confusing at parts. Interesting special effects but...weird.
books. gotta love em!
http://www.Apaperbackexchange.com

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:30 am

I watched Godzilla 2000. Great film! :wink:

The last 2 lines in the movie were outstanding.

Scientist #1: We try to kill Godzilla, and he keeps defending us. Why is that?
Scientist #2: I think it's because there's a little Godzilla in all of us.

James Beard

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:42 am

There are some people who really appreciate John Waters. I am one. This Filthy World was released in October, and it's basically 90 minutes of him talking - and it's very funny. What you'd expect though: nasty, dark, filthy... things you probably don't want to know.

If you're feeling filthy, this is an extremely funny movie to watch.