What DVDs should I rent?

This forum is for all non-fish-related subjects and is un-moderated. Be warned that at times, opinions expressed within are often strongly held and defended. Some may find certain views and language offensive. The opinions expressed are those of the posters and do not represent the opinions of the moderation team or the site owner.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Mon May 12, 2008 10:40 pm

I reached the same conclusion after writing that. I'll have to chew it over at this end.

At least it got me thinking.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu May 15, 2008 1:01 am

Ken wrote:
Morpheus wrote:I don't know if its been mentioned in this thread yet... But the lady made me watch Juno the other day... And surprisingly I thought it was a fantastic movie.
My wife, my son and I all thought it was particularly boring. Not exactly bad but really boring. Some of the acting was very good but it wasn't enough to carry the movie.
Just finished this movie. I didn't find it boring - more claustrophobic than anything. The acting is really remarkable, IMO, and the script is good. The subject matter is "universal" but kind of dies early on because it's not.

And that soundtrack is one to flush at the first possible chance. Yech!

After it ended, I quoted Monty Burns: "I don't know much about art, but I know what I hate. I don't hate that."

Didn't love it, neither.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri May 16, 2008 1:32 pm

Martin Thoene wrote:Just watched Juno this afternoon. I liked it.

Saw There Will Be Blood with Daniel Day-Lewis last night. Excellent movie and his acting was awesome.

Martin.
We watched There Will be Blood last night. Now there is a satisfying epic! Really a great movie. The only problem was that Day-Lewis is so good, the other actors all seem a bit stiff. Watching him, though, is a delight.

tariesindanrie

Post by tariesindanrie » Thu May 22, 2008 10:10 pm

I didn't read back to see if anyone else panned or recommended it or not, but let me just say...'The Butterfly Effect' SUCKS!!!!

Worst movie. Ever.

Kate
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:05 pm

I watched Requiem for a Dream today. Wow. How anyone could start using drugs after watching that movie is beyond me. Pretty scary stuff.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:07 pm

I recently revisited the Spalding Gray movie, Swimming to Cambodia. It's just great. Since then I ordered Monster in a Box and Gray's Anatomy. Neither are as good as the first, but if you enjoyed the first, they're worth a visit.

I always really liked Spalding Gray. He is missed.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:20 pm

Recently I watched Dead Man Walking & Local Hero again. Pretty good movies. I also watched Life is Beautiful for the first time. Yikes, that's hard to take. Good movie IMO but hard to watch.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:44 pm

Untraceable

Some scary internet shit.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0880578/

We enjoyed it.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:07 am

I just watched Where in the World is Osama bin Laden. Very clever and very bold. I'd like to say it's a worthy outing just because the broad light it shines on Islam is full of surprises. Morgan Spurlock has moxie. I like that in his two films.

There is a kind of built-in frustration, though. Whether right or wrong, I feel like not enough Americans would be interested in the film - and worse, that not enough people in broader Islam would be interested whether or not Americans watched it. It feels like his hurdle is insurmountable. I hope I'm wrong.

It would have made a much better miniseries for television, and would have had a greater impact, IMO.

Still, it's a really ballsy film. There are some very funny moments, and it's worth the rental fee.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:10 am

The Bucket List with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman.

Funny, sad, serious and crazy. We liked it.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:18 pm

Watched The Life of David Gale today. It's about capital punishment. Really good flick. Stars Kevin Spacey.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:38 pm

Just watched a Canadian film called Weirdsville. Now this won't appeal to many of you folks but I'd be willing to be that Morpheus/Rifleman would get a kick out of it. It's got it all, stoners, satanic dudes, midgets, rich guys with icicles piercing their skull. Did I mention the midgets? Hilarious but not for the high brow muckity mucks. It's kind of like Adventures in Babysitting on crack.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:56 am

Mark in Vancouver wrote:I just watched Where in the World is Osama bin Laden. Very clever and very bold. I'd like to say it's a worthy outing just because the broad light it shines on Islam is full of surprises. Morgan Spurlock has moxie. I like that in his two films.

There is a kind of built-in frustration, though. Whether right or wrong, I feel like not enough Americans would be interested in the film - and worse, that not enough people in broader Islam would be interested whether or not Americans watched it. It feels like his hurdle is insurmountable. I hope I'm wrong.

It would have made a much better miniseries for television, and would have had a greater impact, IMO.

Still, it's a really ballsy film. There are some very funny moments, and it's worth the rental fee.
I ended up seeing Where is Osama again tonight, and it's even better the second time around. I really think this is a worthy rental. I'd love to hear anyone else's feedback on it.

Ken

Post by Ken » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:53 am

Mark in Vancouver wrote:I just watched Where in the World is Osama bin Laden. Very clever and very bold. I'd like to say it's a worthy outing just because the broad light it shines on Islam is full of surprises. Morgan Spurlock has moxie. I like that in his two films.

I watched it last night and thought it was great.

Your point about not enough Americans would be interested was made clear when I was in Blockbuster. Even though it's supposedly a Blockbuster exclusive, they only had 3 copies and 2 of them were available to rent.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:43 am

The first ten minutes were a bit irritating - I don't know why he kept that animation, the video game thing... But by the end it's actually quite moving. Glad you liked it.