What DVDs should I rent?

This forum is for all non-fish-related subjects and is un-moderated. Be warned that at times, opinions expressed within are often strongly held and defended. Some may find certain views and language offensive. The opinions expressed are those of the posters and do not represent the opinions of the moderation team or the site owner.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:05 pm

There is something enjoyable about watching Bill Maher talking to "average Joes." He's pretty funny in that.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:58 pm

Got two to recommend and they come as a handy box-set if you wish to purchase. Pot Luck (L'auberge espagnole) and the sequel, Russian Dolls (Les Poupées Russes). Yes, they're largely in French but with a fair amount of English in both and bit of Russian in the second. I'm not sure if I love these movies so much because they remind me of the French girl who took me to see them or whether they really are that good. I suck at reviews so I'll just leave it with a recommendation. :D
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:59 am

Just watched a couple of movies... Quantum of Solace sucked. Bewildering, nonsensical bilge, IMO. Daniel Craig is great as ... Bond in an otherwise baffling movie. Great action scenes, but no apparent coherent plot linking them together... Luxury hotels in the middle of the Bolivian desert? And they explode for some reason? Bleah. Crap crap crap.

Far better and more salient viewing is the German documentary Our Daily Bread - long silent scenes of industrial food production. Not silent, just no talking. It's not a style of filmmaking that has many fans, but if you make it through that film, you will never raise food to your lips again without a shudder. I'm sure the American remake will have a happy ending.

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:07 am

Yes....watched Quantum of Sowhat last weekend and we were somewhat MEH! We agree though. Daniel Craig makes an excellent Bond.

If you ever get a chance and find the series of Our Friends In The North which was on British TV years ago you'll love him in it. It was one of the best series I've ever seen, chronicalling a group of friends lives through the 60's, 70's, 80's.

Saw Milk and we loved it. Humanity should be ashamed.

We loved Bottle Shock with Alan Rickman.

Watched Seven Pounds with Will Smith last night and thought it was excellent.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:48 am

Watched The Big Red One this weekend. I liked it a lot more then some of the sappy war movies out these days.
“Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted.”

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:34 pm

Ooh! Forgot. We also whatched Alan Rickman in Nobel Son. It was pretty good.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:03 pm

My friends know me so well. For my recent birthday I received the new DVD sets for three towering classics: Dr. Strangelove, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, and Fitzcaraldo. Each is enjoyable for totally different reasons.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:35 am

I am slowly accumulating the Criterion collection.... very slowly...

WR: Mysteries of the Organism, by Dusan Makaveyev arrived last week, and his film Sweet Movie today. Both are mind-bending trips in 1970s cinema - Sweet Movie breaks about every visual taboo there is without being particularly violent. It's not a "first thing in the morning" kind of outing, but is worth watching if you can find a copy.

Who knew Yugoslav 1974 could produce such a subversive film? And the opening takes place in Canada!

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:08 am

You should rent the DVD for The World According to Monsanto, if it happens to be in your rental store. Not a happy picture, but after watching it, getting other people to watch it seems urgent - and not in the global warming way.

I've recommended The Corporation, which is a great film about how corporate dynamics tend to lead to acts of evil. The Monsanto film reveals an abundant testament to this claim.

I promise that you will want to grow more food after seeing it. Ken, you should rent it if it comes your way.

Ken

Post by Ken » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:51 am

Mark in Vancouver wrote:You should rent the DVD for The World According to Monsanto, if it happens to be in your rental store. Not a happy picture, but after watching it, getting other people to watch it seems urgent - and not in the global warming way.

I've recommended The Corporation, which is a great film about how corporate dynamics tend to lead to acts of evil. The Monsanto film reveals an abundant testament to this claim.

I promise that you will want to grow more food after seeing it. Ken, you should rent it if it comes your way.
I'll watch for it but the odds of finding something like that locally are pretty slim.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:11 am

I suspect that Dave can find it on line somewhere, but your connection will be too slow. It's an NFB/French production... I'm guessing that the one thing Monsanto can do in its defense (and would do, after seeing the film) is to have its distribution made limited.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:06 pm

Mark in Vancouver wrote:I suspect that Dave can find it on line somewhere, but your connection will be too slow. It's an NFB/French production... I'm guessing that the one thing Monsanto can do in its defense (and would do, after seeing the film) is to have its distribution made limited.
Here it is...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7501596844
“Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted.”

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:52 pm

Dave C wrote:
Mark in Vancouver wrote:I suspect that Dave can find it on line somewhere, but your connection will be too slow. It's an NFB/French production... I'm guessing that the one thing Monsanto can do in its defense (and would do, after seeing the film) is to have its distribution made limited.
Here it is...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7501596844
I found where I can get an xvid version. I's marked for when I get DSL!
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:58 pm

Our satellite provider recently gave us 3 months of Showtime and it has pretty much shown us why we would never actually pay money for their programming. The one good thing that came out of it is that we saw a few episodes of Dexter. We liked what we saw so we rented Season 1. We're about half way through and I really like the show.

James Beard

crazzycat

Post by crazzycat » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:43 am

I like movies that gives you some things to think about, one of these films is french movie "Amelie"
Choose cool computer wallpaper!