What DVDs should I rent?

This forum is for all non-fish-related subjects and is un-moderated. Be warned that at times, opinions expressed within are often strongly held and defended. Some may find certain views and language offensive. The opinions expressed are those of the posters and do not represent the opinions of the moderation team or the site owner.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:10 am

Knowing is one to avoid. My wife heard some review that said this was a smart and well done sci fi story so she wanted to give it a try. I'm leery of any serious move with Nicolas Cage.

We should have gone with my gut feelings and skipped it. Horrible acting, stupid story, poorly done visual effects. The entire movie had nothing to do with the ending of the story which would have happened whether or not Nicolas Cage's character was involved. This movie has absolutely nothing going for it.

I also recently rented Quantum of Solace and agree with the other comments posted here. Not only was the plot almost nonexistent, the editing made it really hard to watch.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:45 pm

Imagine my horror when I learned that the next Werner Herzog film stars Nicholas Cage! His appeal is utterly baffling to me.
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Mark in Vancouver wrote:Imagine my horror when I learned that the next Werner Herzog film stars Nicholas Cage! His appeal is utterly baffling to me.
That might actually work.

He has his days. I really like his performance in Adaptation.
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:25 pm

Last night I watched the most entertaining movie ever, Shoot 'em Up. I had an idea what to expect going in but it surpassed my expectations by far. When the first bad guy is killed with a carrot, you know what you're in for!

James Beard

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:22 am

We've been renting the HBO series, Six Feet Under, and really like it.

James Beard

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:18 am

I saw the first two seasons - very good stuff.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:48 am

I watched that show when it was on HBO and really liked it.

ElizabethMorgan

Post by ElizabethMorgan » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:54 pm

Look at features offered by each company. Each DVD rental service has different features. One company offers the ability to watch movies online for free. Another company allows you to exchange DVDs at their nearby stores. Some features will be more appealing than others. Taking time to look at each company’s features will help you choose a company that works for you.

Search the collection of each rental service. A DVD rental service isn’t very useful if they lack the movies you want to watch. Before signing up, take time to search for the movies you want to watch.

Compare plans and prices. Researching the plans and prices of each DVD rental service will also help you choose a company that works for you. One company may offer eight DVDs at a time, while another company only allows three. On the other hand, the company that only allows three at a time may have a closer distribution center and lower prices.

Speak with current members. Current members can give you the pros and cons of each site. You must remember, though, that these opinions may be biased. Listen to the information, but understand that you’ll never know the whole story unless you become a member.
A man cannot dress, but his ideas get cloath’d at the same time.
|nightwear | womens nightdress |

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:46 pm

Gosh, Elizabeth, those were helpful tips. Where can I buy your crap?

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:52 pm

Excellent! I'm in need of a good nightie.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:01 pm

Pervert.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:06 pm

I watched Julie & Julia last night, and didn't hate it. Actually, Meryl Streep as Julia Child was so entertaining it more than made up for the yuppie simp character/side story, which was poorly handled, IMO. I honestly didn't care if the Julie character lived or died.

But Streep is GOOD in this. You actually stop seeing her - you only see Julia Child. Anyone who has lingering nostalgic fondness for Child or for cooking in general should have a look.

Ken

Post by Ken » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:02 am

Mark in Vancouver wrote:I watched Julie & Julia last night, and didn't hate it. Actually, Meryl Streep as Julia Child was so entertaining it more than made up for the yuppie simp character/side story, which was poorly handled, IMO. I honestly didn't care if the Julie character lived or died.

But Streep is GOOD in this. You actually stop seeing her - you only see Julia Child. Anyone who has lingering nostalgic fondness for Child or for cooking in general should have a look.
I mentioned to my wife that I wanted to see this and she was surprised.

James Beard

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:01 pm

Let us know what you (and she) think.

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:20 pm

Mark in Vancouver wrote:Let us know what you (and she) think.
We got off to a bad start. Joan made it 20 minutes before she decided she couldn't stand any more of the Julie part so she asked me to turn it off.

I'll have to watch it when she isn't around.

James Beard