What DVDs should I rent?

This forum is for all non-fish-related subjects and is un-moderated. Be warned that at times, opinions expressed within are often strongly held and defended. Some may find certain views and language offensive. The opinions expressed are those of the posters and do not represent the opinions of the moderation team or the site owner.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:24 pm

Too bad. I wish they had made two separate films!
Your vantage point determines what you can see.

Donna

Post by Donna » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:04 am

Julie & Julia was rather like watching a movie on TV -- in order to watch something you enjoy, you have to sit through stuff you don't. But Julia Child's biography was well worth it.
Carpe Didelphis!

Ken

Post by Ken » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:34 pm

Mark in Vancouver wrote:Too bad. I wish they had made two separate films!
Thank God for the fast forward button on my remote. It was a fantastic 1 hour movie!
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:12 pm

palaeodave wrote:Not seen the Weather Man but I just watched 'Lars and the Real Girl.' I don't think I'll quite be the same again.
I saw Lars last night and loved it. Perfect for the people that frequent this forum. :)
“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard

JonasBygdemo

Post by JonasBygdemo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:06 pm

Ken wrote:I also recently rented Quantum of Solace and agree with the other comments posted here. Not only was the plot almost nonexistent, the editing made it really hard to watch.
It's without doubt the worst Bond-movie EVER! It's not even the style of the earlier movies, and I've been a fan of Bond since I was a little kid, but the two last ones shouldn't have been made. I say: No more Bond-movies. Stop the madness before it's destroyed the image of James completely!

I'd also like to say that I got talked out of seeing 2012 by a friend, and instead borrowing his copy and watch it at home. He'd said before that it was awesome, if you looked at it as a comedy. I haven't laughed this hard at a non-comedy in all my life. The special-effects were awful, acting was at times pretty bad, but the story could've been good if effects and acting (and script) had been better. The only movie that will top this in sucky-ness is Cloverfield. Almost fell a sleep at the cinema!

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:52 pm

Hated 2012. Every time a car pulled away the road was breaking up behind it, every plane took off from a runway that was crumbling all around it. It was ridiculous IMO. I also saw The Blind Side... loved it.
“Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted.”

JonasBygdemo

Post by JonasBygdemo » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Dave C wrote:Hated 2012. Every time a car pulled away the road was breaking up behind it, every plane took off from a runway that was crumbling all around it. It was ridiculous IMO. I also saw The Blind Side... loved it.
There's a lovely scene when they're in the small plane, and taking off from the runway. The pilot gave full throttle when the crumblling was right behind the plane. It accelerated like a car! A plane can't accelerate like that, no matter how small it is! He also just HAD to fly through the crumbling city, when he could've just pulled up to a safer altitude.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:54 am

Finally saw District 9... What a pleasant (unpleasant) surprise that was! Nasty film, but a great piece of cinema, IMO. I had avoided all the reviews, and had only seen the minimal ad campaign when it came out. I take it that the film bombed in theatres.

That was a bloody good bit of sci-fi, IMO. It came out of left field for me, and I was impressed.

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:44 am

Mark in Vancouver wrote:Finally saw District 9... What a pleasant (unpleasant) surprise that was! Nasty film, but a great piece of cinema, IMO. I had avoided all the reviews, and had only seen the minimal ad campaign when it came out. I take it that the film bombed in theatres.

That was a bloody good bit of sci-fi, IMO. It came out of left field for me, and I was impressed.
District 9 did OK. Here's a quote from a financial site and there are many more like it all over the net.

"Director Neill Blomkamp's first release, "District 9" was a commercial and critical success this past summer, bringing in more than $200 million in worldwide revenue and having a long box office run. Blomkamp has received considerable recognition for his directorial debut, including being named Most Promising Filmmaker at the Chicago Film Critics' Awards."

James Beard

Martin Thoene
Location: Toronto.....Actually, I've been on LOL since September 1998

Post by Martin Thoene » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:49 pm

Mark in Vancouver wrote:Finally saw District 9... What a pleasant (unpleasant) surprise that was! Nasty film, but a great piece of cinema, IMO. I had avoided all the reviews, and had only seen the minimal ad campaign when it came out. I take it that the film bombed in theatres.

Told you so you prawn.

Martin.
Image Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:11 pm

Actually, I think it's spelled "praun." I've been thinking about the movie all day. Great special effects, smart script, very dark humour, and utterly original story line - nearly unheard of in modern sci-fi.

I don't know that I'd want to see it again, but all sci-fi fans should have a look at it.

Jim Powers

Post by Jim Powers » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:08 pm

I enjoyed it myself. The fact that this film was actually something original was a pleasant surprise.

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:24 pm

We have seen the monsters, and they are us. That in itself was worth the price of admission.

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:57 pm

We watched Taking Woodstock a few days ago and enjoyed it. Not great, but entertaining enough. It was nice to see someone show a visual of an LSD trip and get it right. Don't ask me how I know this. :)

Now we're in the middle of the 40 year anniversary version of Woodstock. I really love this film! Part 2 tomorrow night.

James Beard

Mark in Vancouver

Post by Mark in Vancouver » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:42 pm

Man, there are so many good moments in that set. In part 2, there's a short scene with Arlo Guthrie talking to the crowd - pure gold. I can easily talk like a pirate, but talking like a true hippie is tough.

The Santana set is still my favourite. Damn, I may have to pull that out again now...