Outdoor pond questions

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Pywakyt

Outdoor pond questions

Post by Pywakyt » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:52 am

So I am thinking of making my very own back yard pond any advice would be great or internet links. Also I live in southern Cali and I have a HUGE pleco that I have had for about 7 years he is now in my 100g tank but I was thinking of moving him into the pond and suggestions on that?
"Life is short and hard like a body building elf."

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:04 pm

How cold does it get in the winter, and is there a heater available that will do this job for tropical fish? I guess you could put the pump/filter in your basement next to the house-heater. That'll take the edge off the coldest nights.

Having said that there's plenty of cold-tolerant stuff out there, even stuff that's legal in California ;)

What do you know about high-efficiency/low-noise pumps and bead filters? I need help with those...
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

Pywakyt

Post by Pywakyt » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:21 pm

It gets about maybe 50 degrees fahrenheit here in the winter. As for filters I use a RENA for up to 350g in my 100g. It's pretty quite. But I am fairly new to the fish thing so I'm not sure on others peoples opinions. Good luck!
"Life is short and hard like a body building elf."

Diana

Post by Diana » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:01 pm

Common Pleco may live in a southern Ca pond overwinter. I do not think they are widespread, but they are found once in a while in streams. Probably not breeding.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!