Magnetic Glass Cleaner

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

franmorr1966

Magnetic Glass Cleaner

Post by franmorr1966 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:04 am

Who uses the "Mag-Float" algae cleaning magnetic device in their aquariums? Are they effective?

clint

Post by clint » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:56 am

I do and they are very effective. They have a Velcro like texture on the inside, very good at scraping the detritus from the sides/front of glass. You can't go wrong with with this product.

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:23 am

I bought one, and it "shudders" when you drag it across the glass. The internal racket must be horrific as the fish freak out.
I've gone back to an old credit-card and a wet arm.

Any thoughts on stopping the shudder? Glass is only 3/8th" so I'm within the range of the magnet.
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

franmorr1966

Post by franmorr1966 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:15 pm

Two conflicting replies. LOL

andyroo

Post by andyroo » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:44 pm

It works for algae though- don't get me wrong.
Get one & keep the receipt. If it shudders, send it back. Go at or bigger then the recommended size for your tank.
A
"I can eat 50 eggs !"

franmorr1966

Post by franmorr1966 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:16 pm

I appreciate your input, thank you.

Diana

Post by Diana » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:51 pm

Here is another negative:
Worthless. I can do better with a razor blade and a wet arm, and the fish follow my arm eating the algae that flakes off.
38 tanks, 2 ponds over 4000 liters of water to keep clean and fresh.

Happy fish keeping!

franmorr1966

Post by franmorr1966 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:14 am

Well thank you everybody. Not sure what I'm going to do now. Cleaning the tank with the abrasive sponge has been working out ok and algae primarily forms only in a few places here and there. I think I'll have a S.A. in an lfs use it for me and see what I think of it since they seem to be in lots of store tanks these days.

chefkeith

Post by chefkeith » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:34 pm

I got a few mag-floats. I like them both and they serve their purpose.

The small one I have I use in my sump, which I can't fit my arm in because there is only about 4 inches of clearance between the top of the sump and the top of the tank stand. The small mag-float magnets are weak and won't do much more than clean dirt off the glass. They're not very good for cleaning algae.

The large mag-float works awesome, but it was expensive. It cost around $35 at my LFS. The magnet is quite strong and I need to use cation not to break anything with it. I need to use it to clean my big tanks because my arms aren't long enough to reach most spots. This one works very good algae.

There are a few things you can do to make the large mag-float work more effective. You can put a scour pad, buffing pad, or cloth over one side. The magnet is strong enough to hold it in place. My LFS puts Chore Boy mesh scrubbies over them. There is also a razor blade attachment that you can get for it too.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:52 pm

I use this:

http://www.cascadebitz.com/Aquarium-Mai ... p-668.html

It's fantastic. Much more effective at getting tough algae (what I call 'spot' algae, no idea what it's really called) than the magnetic cleaners and much less effort than getting your arm in the tank with a scour pad. I thoroughly recommend it.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:51 pm

I use an old fashioned Bristlenose or snails in the smaller tank. Works every time! (Of course the snails wouldn't work with the loaches. :)

franmorr1966

Post by franmorr1966 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:08 am

I do have one of the scrapers like you have, Dave, and yes it does work, but it seems where the sun hits the tank those spots of algae form on the back of the glass primarily and the sides too. Using the scraper can be awkward for the back.

I'd love a natural alternative to cleaning algae like a pleco or bristlenose, but no more big additions to this tank. :-)

Thanks again everybody, I love the feedback.

palaeodave

Post by palaeodave » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:33 am

I have plain black backing on all my tanks, so algae growth tends not to get out of control there although I really wouldn't care if it did. As far as I'm concerned, algae is a good thing in a balanced tank.
"Science is a lot like sex. Sometimes something useful comes of it, but that’s not the reason we’re doing it" ー R Feynman

franmorr1966

Post by franmorr1966 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:59 am

Eh, I don't like seeing algae although my first RTS used to graze on it consistently--probably why he grew so fast and was solid and healthy.

I think besides the sun, the algae grew because my water changes were not as consistent as they'd used to be. I remember a long time ago reading threads about the colors of algae and what that meant to a tank and its cleanliness.

The green stringy stuff is kind of pretty and flowy but I've never gotten that kind; just the slimier greenish-brown kind on the glass and a little on the (silk) plants.

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:56 pm

I have some sort of long, furry dark green algae growing in my 29 that no one eats. I scrape it off the front of my tank with a finger nail. The rest I leave. I see the fish searching it for yummies, and the fry sometimes hide in it. If it gets too thick for the decore, I drop it in the pleco tank and then the decore is wiped clean.