Stiphodon genus of the Goby

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Matt

Re: Stiphodon genus of the Goby

Post by Matt » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:01 am

Hi orchid it's not S. rutilaureus but the one called S. sp. 'ST02' in the link below, which might be one or several species. :)

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/kb.php?t=ps&s=Stiphodon

orchid

Post by orchid » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:31 am

Matt wrote:Hi orchid it's not S. rutilaureus but the one called S. sp. 'ST02' in the link below, which might be one or several species. :)

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/kb.php?t=ps&s=Stiphodon

Really thanks for the link! It confirm to me what I was thinking, my parameters are perfect and also other species in tank perfect, 40 caridina japonica and 40 Orysias Mekongensis....I am realy glad, also just came back from big promo with a strong filter eheim pro 2074 for my 140L tank with 100 L of water..

I also confirm that the eat with strong appetits some special tabs for pleco....today I am preparing the filter but later I will shot this scene...

Thanks a lot for super rich link!

8)

odyssey

Post by odyssey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:53 am

Hi! orchid, welcome to LOL.

I think your Stiphodon is young Stiphodon.sp'ST02' (Rainbow-color), not S.rutilaureus by the same view as Matt, too.
Stiphodon.sp'ST02' (Rainbow-color) is maximal in Stiphodon genus which circulates commercially and also inexpensive.
The reason is unclear, but the female number is very small to the number of imported male circulation.

I think S.rutilaureus has not circulated commercially as far as I know.
Therefore the picture is little, but the site which can confirm its form is indicated.
http://www.aquaforum.nl/ubb/ultimatebb. ... /4565.html
http://www.stampsfiji.com.fj/stamps/fre ... index.html

A video clip of young Stiphodon.sp(Rainbow-color) was uploaded to Youtube a short while ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na5CY_6za7w

And below are pictures of the young individual of Stiphodon.sp(Rainbow-color).
It isn't limited to Stiphodon, but a pattern and the color of the body change with growth.
About one inch of young individual.

Hi, Matt.
I knew interesting 2 information recently.
You may know already,but 2 groups seem included in Stiphodon genus according to a DNA analysis.
http://www.springerlink.com/content/l613517w30g40u8w/

It was introduced by this thread before, but this is a picture of Stiphodon.sp which could be seen now well recently in Okinawa in Japan.
It's said that this Stiphodon was released as a new species at last year's Japanese ichthyology meeting.
http://teamichiba.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/171/
http://tsudoi-company.com/photogallery/ ... n_sp.1.htm
http://island.geocities.jp/churamizu/Stiphodon-sp.html
I am not used to English. Therefore,It is likely to sometimes misunderstand it.

orchid

Post by orchid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:12 am

Thanks a lot Odyssey,

I bought 14 fishes for my 140L....and they seem to be very well acclimated after 5 days. Very funny, they seem to be really like timers..., I install new filter yesterday and waou...so cool the stream from the electronic eheim filter make various speed in the tank and they really seem tp play with..

Aso each day, one hour before light switch off, they go to sleep under the big rocks and the moring when I open the window they start to swimm again....Then I am very happy that they eat the food I gave specially for them, my tank is old, many rocks, full of algae, also some roten moss and pany plants, but anyway they eat this and seem to really appreciate as far as it is only algae and spirulina in:
:arrow:

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:52 am

Hi Odyssey,

Thanks for the links. :-) Yes I have seen the paper - will add the info into the Stiphodon species profiles soon.

That new one is amazing - is it in the process of being described?

odyssey

Post by odyssey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:20 am

Hi Matt.

********************************************************************************************************************************************
This species was reported by Maeda and others as Stiphodon olivaceus in 2007.And a study has been advanced after that.
But that was reported as non-mentioning species, not Stiphodon olivaceus in 2010 ichthyology meeting by above-mentioned Maeda and others. (In other words, new species.)
********************************************************************************************************************************************

I don't know which stage of the official recognition process of the international new species.
The new scientific name will be decided about soon.

It's very cold for winter of this year compared with an ordinary year.
Therefore their staying over winter rate is probably low.

orchid

Post by orchid » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:49 pm

That's so cool , I am discovering that they came from south china sea coast..
So as far as I had traveled in this area in few season while doing a residence in Guangzhou, I know that temperature is getting really cold in winter and hot in summer, range is generaly around 8 in winter and realy tropical in summer, but it can also be snow in winter.. That point came to me, do I need to put an heater in my tnak, knowing that my ouse is always around 20°c in winter an din summer I just need to follow the outside temperature?
I always think that us aquariophilist have this default to regulate the temperature of our tank as far as in nature situation variation are extremly imoprtant, this species coming from south echina sea coast can support my house temperature?

thanks a lot

odyssey

Post by odyssey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:13 am

Hi orchid.

They're fish of amphidromous migration.
They're carried by an ocean current to a far place after a hatch.
Therefore I think the area where they are found isn't always the comfortable environment for them.
Its location may be the environment of the limit that they can live.

Stiphodon lives in a Japanese southern Okinawa area a little.
Much of the Stiphodon is carried by a Kuroshio Current from the tropics.
The Kuroshio Current flows through the Japanese coast more to the north.
But it's all rarer than Okinawa that Stiphodon is found in the northern area.
I think the environment of Okinawa is the condition of the limit that Stiphodon can live.
Many individuals will die of low temperature in February every year.

I show below the data of the change of the water temperature of some rivers of Okinawa.
The temperature notation is centigrade.

Apr. May. Jun. Jly. Aug. Sep.Oct. Nov. Dec.Jun. Feb.Mar.
20.7 27.0 24.6 31.0 27.0 27.6 28.5 20.7 20.0 20.3 15.9 20.4

20.0 27.5 24.0 27.4 26.9 25.7 26.8 21.5 21.0 21.0 17.5 21.6

20.5 27.5 24.7 28.2 26.1 25.7 28.4 20.6 20.4 20.9 17.7 21.2

19.1 25.4 23.2 28.6 25.3 24.8 26.8 20.4 19.9 20.4 16.7 20.6

21.1 24.5 24.4 25.9 26.9 25.6 23.2 20.5 18.5 18.9 16.4 18.6

It's probably different in the applicability to the low water temperature depending on the species of Stiphodon.
Stiphodon.sp (Rainbow) lives in Indonesia, but there are no records found in Okinawa.
Indonesia is the tropics, so the water temperature shouldn't be less than 20 ℃.
Therefore their low water temperature tolerance seems that not good.

It's important, but the water temperature is only one of parameters on a river.
You had better imagine the parameter except the water temperature if you wanted to make the environment of the water tank same as a natural habitat.
pH, kH, mineral, the water depth, the current velocity, the sunshine amount, the rainy season dry season and the alga kind are various.

It's impossible to make all parameters identical, so which to make fit in depends on owner's idea.
Last edited by odyssey on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

orchid

Post by orchid » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks so much Odyssey!

It's exactly what I am thinking! It's hard to recreate natural things, but at least to try to make variations in our tank is good, nothing is badder than a tank wich have 24°c days and night all year,the same flue, same ph, same kh, same current same etc all year.

I will make a moovie soon, to show you how they are and where they live. my tank is good and old as well, parameters are good for them when I read the fiches, it's perfect, I bought a super filter especially for them :D that create an irregular stream flow, that last electronic eheim filter that had a flue of 1500 liter per hour for a 140l tank wich had 100l of water, when I watch them I think they appreciate a lot as far as they are starting to be black with a blue mask, but it soudn that I have more male than female, :? I have 40 kilos of rocks full of algae in it and at least same type of rocks that you could find I think i their places. The other parameters seem to be exactly as in the fiches i rode on seriously fish.. my Ph is 7.2 before light switch on and go till 6.8 before it switch off, last kh test show me 5 an/6 and gh was around 9. Light is strong and 9 hours per day and the tank is close from a window which give benefice of the day light also. Some lily pipe create a strong oxygen from 9am till 13 am when I am here,and if I am not here as my tank is super planted I think oxygen is enough as well... Well I will continue to observ and take all this beautifull scene in my eyes..and also record some new images to share with you all!

Thanks a lot for your important help!

best regards from Paris.

Vis

Post by Vis » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:44 pm

Hi

Can you help me identify these ?

http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22383

odyssey

Post by odyssey » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:48 am

Hi
I uploaded a videclip of Stiphodon.sp(Orange-fin) to Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rus7CTlR0wc

"Orange-fin" which is sometimes mixed in import of Stiphodon.sp(Rainbow-color).
It becomes orange certainly , but their dorasel fin is'nt always orange.
"Spotted Head" is more suitable for their plain feature.

wheezo

Post by wheezo » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:41 am

I have Stiphodon sp. "Gold Spot" Does anyone know if this is similar to the Stiphodon percnopterygionus? Someone says they are the same fish but I am not sure.

Also do the percnopterygionus only get that color when breeding? If there were no females in the tank, will it still look like that?

plaalye

Post by plaalye » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:10 pm

I've seen s. percnopterygionus sold as "s. goldspot". Common names are not worth much. hey have showed up on a stock list ot two lately. Can you post a pic??

orchid

Post by orchid » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:02 am

Hey Odyssey

...how are you? About your close people also..hope everything is going better....

tyrano34

Post by tyrano34 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:05 pm

I think it's an Stiphodon sp orange fin ?

my friend odyssey I am wholeheartedly with you and hope you're well.
http://www.aqualifestyle-france.com/c33 ... open-guest
11 English forums to share with you.
sharing among the responsible aquarists : https://www.facebook.com/groups/156116267918555/