Chinese frshwater fish

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

chenmahua

Chinese frshwater fish

Post by chenmahua » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:28 pm

Here are the freshwater pics in my hometown--Shanghai, and actually these pretty fish are just a little part of many kinds of fantastic fish in China.
My friends have much more pics of other beautiful fish that i will not display on this topic, and at sometime i will take their agreement and post those img
So,let's begin
1 Rhodeus sinensis
2 Rhodeus ocellatus
3 Acanthorhodeus macropterus
4 Rhodeus fangi
5 Paracheilognathus himantegus
6 Acanthorhodeus chankaensis
7 Hemicculter Leuciclus
8 Sarcocheilichthys sinensis sinensis
9 Sarcocheilichthys nigripinnis nigripinnis
10 Acrossocheilus
11 Macropodus chinensis 1
12 PSeudobagrus fulvldraco
13 Hypseleotris swinhonis
14 Ctenogobius giurinus
15 Rhinogobius cliffordpopei
16 Mastacembelus aculeatus
17 unknown

fralium

Post by fralium » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:21 am

Good to see these bittering,

I like them,,,,, :D

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:12 pm

Hi Chen thanks for putting so many wonderful pics on this site !

For some reason we aren't allowed to keep Chinese fishes , [laws] they are frightened we would release them into our water ways :roll:

I'm a lover of Asian freshwater fishes ! and in the past have been lucky enough to have kept a few of the species you have displayed here , i.e Acrossocheilus ,similar to the ones shown, both types of Sarcocheilichthys and the odd loach , oh how I wish we could see these beautiful fishes here again 8)
Oh and that Eel is just divine :!:

chenmahua

Post by chenmahua » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:52 pm

piggy4 wrote:Hi Chen thanks for putting so many wonderful pics on this site !

For some reason we aren't allowed to keep Chinese fishes , [laws] they are frightened we would release them into our water ways :roll:

I'm a lover of Asian freshwater fishes ! and in the past have been lucky enough to have kept a few of the species you have displayed here , i.e Acrossocheilus ,similar to the ones shown, both types of Sarcocheilichthys and the odd loach , oh how I wish we could see these beautiful fishes here again 8)
Oh and that Eel is just divine :!:
Thank you very much to reply my topic
Although it is a little pity that seeing and keeping Chinese fish in America may be hard, biologic invasion increasingly seem to be a serious problem indeed, i.e Swamp Crawfish in China and Ophicephalus argus in USA.
What i want in this topic is to display the charm of Chinese nature fish(not goldenfish) and tell friends here that there are fairy in Chinese river ways as well as South America and South-Eastern Asia.
So if anyone have chance to come to China, welcome to connect me and have a good look to our nature fish with me
By the way, i will post other topics with fantasitc pics of my friends, their imgs are much more greater than mine.

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:35 am

Absolutely beautiful fish there and a shame we are denied (rightly or wrongly) the chance to import and keep them here in the UK. Those Bitterling species are stunning.
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

mickthefish

Post by mickthefish » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:28 am

Chris i've had some of theose species of bitterling from when i used to show fish, but unfortunately they are now on the banned list. imo wrongly it's just the people in power are lilylivered.
who was it that introduced the grass carp to our waterways, THEM.

mick
never take people at face value.

Slough Shark

Post by Slough Shark » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:33 am

What a beautiful collection! I love that Macropodus, absolutely beautiful. I will visit you in China one day :D
30 Gallon Livingstone Falls Biotope:
- 4 Steatocranus casuarius

chenmahua

Post by chenmahua » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:53 am

Doc wrote:Absolutely beautiful fish there and a shame we are denied (rightly or wrongly) the chance to import and keep them here in the UK. Those Bitterling species are stunning.
i absolutely agree with you!!!

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:47 am

mickthefish wrote:Chris i've had some of theose species of bitterling from when i used to show fish, but unfortunately they are now on the banned list. imo wrongly it's just the people in power are lilylivered.

mick
I agree Mick. I kept a number of species of Bitterling back in the 90's, some of which I never did identify properly so it is possible I kept many species now on the banned list. I do find it difficult to imagine any of these species becoming rampant and outcompeting native fish if they ever got into the wild (even more unlikely). In fact the humble Common Goldfish and Koi carp are more of a threat than any other fish in my view. Then you have fish like Zander, various large catfish and so on and so on.
Some of the Chinese Cyprinids and other fish families have colours and scale patterns to rival the best quality Rainbowfish, Livebearers, Killifish and Cichlids. Heck I'd even say the best quality Marine fish can't beat some of the more common freshwater fish for colours and behaviour.
So many species of fish yet so little time, space and money to keep them all...

piggy4

Post by piggy4 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:42 pm

Chen I am really looking forward to the pics by you and your pals 8)

chenmahua

Post by chenmahua » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:35 pm

Doc wrote:
mickthefish wrote:Chris i've had some of theose species of bitterling from when i used to show fish, but unfortunately they are now on the banned list. imo wrongly it's just the people in power are lilylivered.

mick
I agree Mick. I kept a number of species of Bitterling back in the 90's, some of which I never did identify properly so it is possible I kept many species now on the banned list. I do find it difficult to imagine any of these species becoming rampant and outcompeting native fish if they ever got into the wild (even more unlikely). In fact the humble Common Goldfish and Koi carp are more of a threat than any other fish in my view. Then you have fish like Zander, various large catfish and so on and so on.
Some of the Chinese Cyprinids and other fish families have colours and scale patterns to rival the best quality Rainbowfish, Livebearers, Killifish and Cichlids. Heck I'd even say the best quality Marine fish can't beat some of the more common freshwater fish for colours and behaviour.
How I feel pleased that here are people really konw/understand the value and charm of native fish and fish themselves.
Actually in China, many amateurs are trying their best to study and protect local fish though without offical support, they will face many obstacles.
Another problem is that compared with those who undestand deeply(or just know a little) local fish, too many people haven't realized the importance and charm of our local fish, and sometimes they even use Bitterling to feed Trachemys scripta elegans. It is a very time that we appeal to protect our river fairies, both in East and West.

eastofthesun46

Post by eastofthesun46 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:05 am

Did you catch these fish yourself, or are they traded? They are very beautiful!

chenmahua

Post by chenmahua » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:24 am

eastofthesun46 wrote:Did you catch these fish yourself, or are they traded? They are very beautiful!
Most of them are wild

starsplitter7

Post by starsplitter7 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:23 pm

Those fish are absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing. I love the eel. Really fantastic.

Collingwood

Post by Collingwood » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:24 am

I recently done my MBA and now days I want to do some online Microsoft certifications and I Found this online notes is a best helping source to get online accurate information which is more helpful for my preparation.
Collingwood