angel gets stuck stealing loach food

The place for all discussions not loach-related concerning freshwater fish keeping. All our members keep other fish so you may benefit from their experience.

Moderator: LoachForumModerators

Donna

angel gets stuck stealing loach food

Post by Donna » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:38 am

Yesterday morning one of my angelfish was missing, the bully of the four. Searching for his dead body, I discovered him alive and in high dudgeon, wedged sideways beneath the kuhli's shelf for who knows how long.

As I said, he's the most aggressive of the bunch, especially when it comes to food, and right before I leave, after the tank lights go out (remember this is at work) I feed the kuhlis. They get frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms, or mosquito larvae, and to prevent the angels from eating it all up before the loaches get any, I use 16" curved hemostats to poke the frozen cube beneath the half-inch-high shelf, and the kuhlis dig in.

Well, this one angelfish successfully got under there, probably pigged out, and then couldn't extricate himself. I had to dismantle the hide spot. He righted himself with what dignity he could muster, and joined the other three as if nothing had happened. (And in seven seconds, he likely completely forgot the entire event.)

This is the shelf he squeaked underneath:
Carpe Didelphis!

JonasBygdemo

Post by JonasBygdemo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:49 pm

Wow, he must have been hungry! Which one of the angels got under?

loachmom

Post by loachmom » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:57 pm

Donna,

I have to tell you that after reading your past posts about your angels, I just had to have some. I sold my kubotai loaches and made my 75 gallon a haven for three angel fish. I'm find them to be the most out-going fish I've ever owned. They always come right up to the glass to see me---they are probably just begging for food, but I talk to them just like they are little puppies.

That must have been shocking to find your fish under that shelf (a genius idea I must add), and I'm glad he came through alright. :)

Donna

Post by Donna » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:48 pm

Jonas, it was the dark angel (appropriately enough) with his nose in the corner in the photo. I did put the kuhli shelf back together, and so far he's stayed out.

Loachmom, glad you're enjoying your angels. Mine were purchased pretty much as live tank decorations, but now I love them, not only for their graceful beauty, but also for their bold personalities and antics.

PS -- They're NOT hungry, they just want me to think they are :roll:
Carpe Didelphis!

FishyLady

Post by FishyLady » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:04 pm

That's intrepid angels for you!! :lol:

Val
Better the chaos of creativity than the tidiness of idleness.